The plan was to meet some boys for a dollar showing of It's a Wonderful Life. When we arrived, the boys had already paid their admission and were seated inside waiting for us.As the first female to slide into their row, I had to make a quick but difficult decision: sit in the available seat next to Wes (who I was in secret love with), or politely walk several paces farther, counting down the appropriate number of chairs, stopping to sit only after everyone behind me had a spot. I hesitated for an imperceptible moment (that felt, to me, like an eternity) and then sat down. By Wes. The rest of the group filed on past me. For a few minutes, I was mortified. How could I be so obvious? All of my girlfriends were probably mad (most of my building was in not-so-secret love with the boy). But then the movie started. And every time Wes bent his head to whisper a witty comment in my direction, I felt more and more satisfied about the seating arrangements.
I don't know how I fell in love with him in a mere two month time frame. It was just the kind of illogical thing I never thought would happen to me. I remember trying to study for finals that year. Capacity to concentrate: zero. Appetite: none (too many butterflies). I was: in love.
And it was surprisingly lasting love. I remember going to rent a movie with my roommates almost a year after Wes had left on his mission. It was December again. Christmastime. And I spotted a copy of It's A Wonderful Life on display just as someone sporting the scent of spearmint breezed by me. Wes's mom had sent him to BYU with a stash of Doublemint, so the smell, together with the sight of Jimmy Stewart smiling down at Donna Reed, worked some kind of sudden, heavy magic on me. I was amazed by the swell of strong emotion in my heart - like Wes, in his grey fleece pull-over, had suddenly pulled me close and breathed a hundred forgotten memories into my mind.
The vividly remembered scent and softness lingered. Two Decembers later, Wes was home from Norway and I was wearing an engagement ring on my finger. The night before our winter wedding, I requested a father's blessing - something I traditionally did before big days and life changing events, though few previous events could compare with the one at hand. I remember the familiar feeling of Dad's hands on my head. I settled in for the typical words of comfort and promise. And they came. But so did other words. Words I hadn't anticipated on the night before my wedding. I don't remember exact phrases. I remember a few significant pauses. I remember Dad saying things like: "On such an occasion, I wish I could promise you only joy and happiness ahead..."
But?
He went on to talk (for a seemingly extensive time) about challenges and hardships. No specifics. And there were, of course, abundant assurances of strength and courage betrothed - to both me and Wes. But I'll be honest: my bride-to-be ears were surprised. Not exactly the shining promise-of-a-wonderful-life words I'd been expecting. The blessing wasn't in any way frightening or depressing. Just surprising.
I'm no longer so surprised. Now, when I reflect on that particular father's blessing, I realize that God truly knows me. My past, my present, my future. My pain. My potential. And I realize that he knows all those things about my husband, too. And about my children, and my friends, and my family. Everyone. He knows us! And He's truly available to help us. Time and time again over the past seven years, He's helped Wes and me to pick up the pieces of shattered plans and rearrange them into a new pattern - into a truly beautiful, wonderful life.
Not that the rearranging is easy - even with help. Those shards of broken dreams are sharp. Sometimes I complain about all the seemingly wasted work and cry at the cuts that result from the process. But I'm learning (mainly from Wes) to be less resentful. Sometimes it helps to read wise words:"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself." — C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)
Sometimes it helps to remember inspired words:
Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another." D&C 90: 24
Always it helps to curl up with a good movie on a cold night and remember, "no one is a failure who has friends."

We've really had a wonderful life, we two! Wouldn't trade it for anything. Not anything. Happy Anniversary, Wes!
When we saw this sign for sale a couple of years ago, we thought it certainly worth the couple of dollars it cost. You'll note that it's currently hanging inartistically on our bulletin board. Along side the letter reminding us to get Spencer's birth certificate. (Just trying to keep it real for you, Heather! =)


22 comments:
Happy Anniversary you two! You guys were made for one another. Love that C.S. Lewis quote :)
OH, Happy Anniversary you two! I remember that wedding day that doesn't seem like too long ago. I love your love story! You two are such an amazing couple, and have such cute, smart kids. We sure can't wait to see you and spend time together!
I always love your anniversary posts. It's so fun to hear your love story a little bit at a time.
I too love that C.S. Lewis quote. It's one of my all-time favorites. Happy Anniversary!
Is your anniversary today? Happy, happy anniversary! And I just have to say that I remember going to It's a Wonderful Life, but as I was oblivious to your in-love self, all I remember is that it was the very first time I had ever seen the movie, so I have fond memories of that night for that reason. Wish I could have celebrated your giddiness with you, but happy to be able to celebrate your 7 amazing years of marriage!
Happy Anniversary! Love your post. I've known about you since your freshman year. I remember my mom bringing some big group picture of you guys to the airport when I left to Poland to point you out. And Wes had only known you for two months too! I love you guys!
Happy day you two. Thanks for touching all of us. You are a beautiful, eternal family. Lori...why'd you get all the "good" genes?!
Happy Anniversary!
P.s. I had no idea freshman year you were in love with Wes. I just knew every OTHER girl was. (But not me. LOL)
This was beautiful Lori. Congratulations on a beautiful life together. And a great wish for many many more years to come. Your words brought me close to tears.
Happy Anniversary! I love that C.S. Lewis quote. I have it in my scriptures. However, mine ends at the sentence saying he is making a palace. I feel so cheated! I love that last line and will have to add it to my quote. Thanks for all your inspiration.
Oh, Lori! How do you always top your previous year's anniversary post? I will admit I've been looking forward to this post, because I knew your anniversary was coming and that you'd write something sweet and amazing. You never let me down :) I know that we weren't ever really close friends but, I want you to know that I love you! I love you and your family and your faith. I wish the two of you a very happy anniversary!
Happy Anniversary to you! You definitely were meant to be together for time and all eternity.
As I read your posts, doesn't matter what it may be about, I usually find myself in tears or close to it...nothing has changed. On our way home from Heather and Royce's that night, I said to Jared, I want to be more like Lori, she always makes me want to be a better person. His response...don't wish but do, make changes to achieve that. I am trying each and every day to do that. Thanks for everything that you and your wonderful husband and adorable kids think, say and do. Enjoy your Christmas in Vegas and hopefully we can see you sometime this break!
Happy Anniversary! You are a powerful couple. And thanks for saying that about Spencer's birth certificate... I had totally forgotten about Kenzie's. :)
oh, the sweetness of this post sits heavy on my heart. i just want good things, good news, a long, wonderful life of togetherness for your family so badly.
happy anniversary.
and merry christmas, dearest blog friend.
Oh and by the way, those are the cutest family pictures ever!
Amazing Grace..... Dad and I are in tears. Funny, we watched "It's a Wonderful Life" again this season. Gets better every time...
Happy Anniversary Lori and Wes!!! You two are so wonderful, and such good examples. Thank you for this post as well...it is so perfect, as always.
Happy Anniversary! You give us all a present every year with these great posts...Our marriage would not be the same without you! And yes...thanks for keeping it real ;)
and...so incredibly cannot wait to see you guys...everyone pray that we can all be happy and healthy by then!
Wonderful, wonderful post, Lori. As you always, you and your family are a true inspiration!
And the family pictures are fabulous.
It is a wonderful life and you already have your angel wings. Love you!
Hey Lori, do me a favor, amazon.com is doing 25 days of free mp3 Christmas songs. I downloaded one just the other day called "It really is a wonderful life" by Mindy Smith. It's a super cute song and I think you would love it. Go get it!
I don't think any freshman girl could have helped being at least a little bit in love with Wes. :) I absolutely love the C.S. Lewis quote, as well. And aren't Father's blessings the best, even when they contain the unexpected? I remember a number of occasions in earlier years when phrases from blessings my dad gave me would come to mind throughout the year, reinforcing my knowledge that Heavenly Father was so very aware of me personally.
BTW, your hair is always so gorgeous, Lori! If I could magically change my hair to look like anybody's, it would be yours. :)
Happy Anniversary! I had to laugh at your comment about half our building being in not-so-secret love with Wes! I know a couple of my room mates were! :). You guys make the perfect couple and I love your family pictures--especially the one of you two looking at each other. So sweet :).
Post a Comment