Friday, May 7, 2010

Another Summit



“Give me this mountain.” Joshua 14:12
When Old Testament Israelite Caleb first uttered that phrase he didn’t know what effect it would have in my life. He was claiming land—parts of the Promised Land. He was expressing faith in the Lord who he knew would help him conquer the trials that the land would present. He was not only willing to cope with the trials life would give him, but he was asking for the challenges because he knew that the Lord would be with him, would aid him. Perhaps he knew that challenges thus conquered, are, in reality, some of the Lord’s richest blessings to His children.

Wes told me that in honor of his graduation, I could post a few paragraphs from the MPA application essay he wrote two years ago. (Ok, he didn't exactly give me permission. But I think it's worth risking his wrath to have a few of these words on the record.)

In November of 2005 I found myself at the foot of a large mountain. I was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. On December first of that year I had surgery, which was followed by a stint of radiation, and 20 months of Chemotherapy. After several stable MRI’s, I was given my first break from Chemo this October (2007). This December I was proscribed medication to regulate minor seizures that had been occurring, undiagnosed, for a few months.


As with any mountain, there have been times of ascent and times of descent on my trail. I’ve struggled scholastically more than I’ve ever done before but at the same time I’ve also been able to communicate with people more freely than before and I’ve watched myself make significant progress and regain skills and abilities. It’s been a fascinating hike.

I know the MPA program will be another mountain, but I look forward to the challenge. I ask for it...
"Give me this mountain."


I know the path will be rigorous and demanding, but I know that it will be worth my time and my best effort, and I know that with God’s help it can be done.





With God's help and a lot of hard work.

(mid-ceremony "wiggles out" session...just in case anyone thought I was actually listening to Mr. Marriott's speech)

Congratulations, Wes!

25 comments:

jeanine said...

Congrats Wes! What a journey you've all had. So what plans await you for the future?

Elise B. said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Lessa said...

Way to go, Wes! And I thoroughly enjoyed the sections from your application essay.

Andrew said...

Congratulations indeed! It was an honor to be part of your first team, and I'm glad to know the deeper significance of Curiously Strong's scripture theme. You're quite a climber, Hawk. Keep climbing.

Unknown said...

Wow. Wish we could have been there. Congratulations. Those pics make me wish we were back at BYU-just without the school part. Love your color coordinated little cougars :)

Leesee said...

Congratulations Wes! Such a great accomplishment!
ps... I love all the pictures!

Ryan said...

Congrats, Wes! What an achievement and what an example you have been to all of us in the MPA program! We are grateful for your quiet example, determination, and friendship!

mcampbell said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! So excited for this moment.

Adam W. said...

Well done Wes. A masters!

yutzyjbear said...

Congratulations Wes! I remember sitting in a van, with you, Lori, and the crew when you were just deciding that you'd take on the MPA challenge! I don't remember where we were... but the conversation and the decision at the time were exciting! So happy you you've reached the summit!

DeAnna Packer said...

Loved the insights....
Loved the comment..."you are quite a climber, Hawk. Keep climbing!"
Hawk....may be my new nick-name for you Wes.
What a mighty force for good are the Wes Truman Family!!! Love you!

Rosalee said...

Congratulations, Wes! Thanks for sharing part of his essay. Very, very inspiring. You both are amazing!

Mark and Maria said...

Congrats guys! We love you! So good seeing you last week!

Julie said...

You're the man and we're glad you're Lori's man! We had so much fun on the cruise and hope we conveyed our deepest, sincere congratulations of your achievement. We are so proud!

Kim Cannon said...

Beautifully put! Congrats Wes! We are so happy for you.

GreenPhoenix said...

Congratulations!

Danny said...

Wes, you the (mountain) man! Way to go!

Brooke said...

I wish that there was a word that meant congratulations, but carried all the sincerity and joy in your accomplishment that we feel. But since i'm not thinking of such a word, I will use what I have. Congratulations!

nateandrebecca said...

Congratulations Wes! That is just so wonderful! Seriously, I am so happy for you!!! Way to go!

Phoebe said...

congrats Wes!! what a great post! love you guys! looks like a fun trip too! I know grandma lu had a good time!!

heath said...

Such a great feat. Huge congratulations to you! And I'm glad you shared the essay. Beautiful words.

Vicky said...

Congratulations, Wes! That must feel so great! What an achievement!

Ryan said...

That's probably the most outstanding application essay I've ever read. Holy cow. The admissions committee shouldn't have sent you an acceptance letter. They should've just mailed you a diploma.

Wendy said...

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Brandon and Lacey said...

Thank you for this tonight Lori. My own mountains seemed daunting today and have brought me down low. This post, Wes's inspiring faith, have lifted me up. Motivating me to keep climbing. That my goals are attainable. I just need more faith.