Preschool graduation is one of the very, very first memories of my life. I don't remember anything about preschool itself, just that during the closing ceremonies I slipped a little when receiving my certificate. (Jelly shoes, people. And yes, I was wearing mine with socks on that occasion.)
I didn't actually fall. Just lost my balance for a moment. And I was MORTIFIED. Cried and cried.
I'm grateful for the memory of that moment and it's accompanying emotion. It has occasionally helped me to be more patient in the face of my own daughter's melt-downs.
And there were a few (melt-downs) at last night's graduation. Poor Lu was still recovering from a little run in with Spencer's Sunday sickness. But she really wanted to go to her program. So we rested her up all day and then (gulp) we went.
Althought we were not the first to arrive, I ended up with a seat on the front row (Lucy had to see me. Melt-down #1). I was happy to be where I could shoot her a thumbs up every few minutes (as she sat clinging nervously to her buddy Travis's hand and trying hard to compose herself). She was totally comfortable by the time the program began and so I settled in to enjoy the show (pleased to be so well positioned for picture taking).
But I didn't take any shots of Lucy's performance! Spencer wiggled on my lap throughout the Wiz Kidz theme song. I shuffled him off to Grandpa in time for "Skidamarink"...but still no pictures. Lucy's perfectly memorized actions and sincere, intent eyes - locked with mine through the whole song - hypnotized me into immobility.
I love you in the morning and in the afternoon
I love you in the evening and underneath the moonOh! Skidamarink a dinky dink
Skidamarinky doo!
I love you!
I love you!
I....love....you!
boop boop a doo!
Never did such a "dinky" little song seem to be such a moving masterpiece. Each "I love you" sent my direction made a deep mark in my heart. I mouthed the words and mirrored the actions along with Lucy, hoping my steady gaze (blurry from the rising tears) would penetrate her soul the way her focused eyes were penetrating mine.
Her smile at song's end - our eyes still locked - was shining.
Then came a little slide show, a few more songs, finally: pomp and circumstance. Turns out, Lucy isn't so much into hats that require elastic under the chin (Melt-down #2). But she waved from my side when her name was read, and after the ceremony she was anxious for her hat to get some use (if not on her own head).
(Yep, Little Brother was there. Mostly for the food.)
A wonderful evening, all in all. During the closing prayer, Lucy's teacher thanked Heavenly Father for children.
Amen. I'm so grateful for the children in my life - the ones that live at my house, and the ones that occasionally visit. Lucy has such dear little friends. Travis deserves his own post, entirely. And there's Brynn:
I always smile when she and Lucy are together. 'Cause I had a dear little preschool friend named Brynn, too (is this a walk down memory lane, or what?!)...
A dear little preschool friend who turned into a dear life long friend (whose oldest daughter will be baptized this year, around the time mine starts Kindergarten!)
"Life repeats itself," my mom wrote when she e-mailed the pictures of my preschool graduation last night. Sweet cycles of growing and loving. (And jellies are back, to boot! I should have picked some up as a graduation present!)






11 comments:
I repeat CONGRATULATIONS to our WIZ KID..... What a gal! What lessons we are all learning.... :)
I love it! Little Lori is beautiful! And Little Lucy is just like her!
I never had a pair of jellies...I think that's where my life went terribly wrong :)
Ha! That last comment was actually from me. But it sure makes it a lot more interesting coming from Ry :)
Love it all!
Amy, I can't believe you never had a pair of jellies... I even had some in jr. high when they came back. (And it was even funnier when I thought it was Ryan who was bemoaning his lack of jellies!)
She is such a doll and looks quite a bit like you did! (Of course, that's my opinion, I could be wrong :). I LOVE that picture of you and Brynn! How fun!!! I didn't realize you had known each other that long!
Oh how I loved this little jaunt into OUR past! I just love my neatly tucked in tee and belt. I'm so glad I had YOU to enjoy those early moments with and can only hope my little angels (I can call them that because they're all sweetly tucked into bed at the moment) will have such friends to accompany them through life's moments. Congrats to Lucy who is ready for life's next awaiting adventure!
How fun to have your preschool pics with Lucy's! And just the other day I was reminiscing with someone else about jellies...and how fantastic it is that they're making a comeback. Congratulations, Lucy!
I love you Lori!! I especially love your preschool pictures (I too had several pairs of jelly shoes...I may have even worn them with socks!)
P.S--Used my crock pot tonight ;)
That is a BIG day!!! Congratulations Lucy!
Congratulations Lucy Lu! Wish I could have been there! Jellies, squishy squashy jellies, and they can go in the water! Love you, you look like your momma!
I was so confused why Ryan wanted jelly shoes. Hilarious! You should have just let it be and left us all wondering.
I remember you telling me about your preschool graduation tragedy Lori. I guess it's true that everything happens for a reason. I also remember a story about your piano teacher taking your shoe. That's my favorite!
Post a Comment