Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What Is a Boy?

My mom penned these lines years ago.  I never loved them so much as I do these days...

 

Boys are found everywhere – above, underneath, inside, on, swinging through, flying around, or splashing about.

 

Mothers love them in their little plaid shirts,



little girls hate them (for a while), brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them, and Heaven protects them.
A little boy is Joy with dirt on his face, Truth with light in his eyes, the hope of the future with a frog in his pocket.




 

When you are busy, he can be bothersome. Nobody else is so early to rise or so up in the night. Nobody else gets so much fun out of trees, dogs, or orange kites flown high.


Nobody else can cram a rusty knife, a half eaten apple, three feet of string, several gumdrops, a stack of baseball cards, six cents - and then some - into one blue jean pocket.

He is a boy – a magical creature. His traits are many, his potential is great. Give him a flag and he is a soldier. Give him space and he is an astronaut. Give him a testimony and he is a missionary. But for a time, wrapped in a soft blue blanket, he is yours.


Your boy.


You can lock him out of your workshop, but you can’t lock him out of your heart. You can push him away from your study, but you can’t get him out of your mind. So give up. He is your captor, your jailer, your boss.

And in the evening, as you ponder upon the shattered pieces of the day, when you see your hopes and dreams slip, seemingly, away – your little boy will come to you and mend those dreams like new, with words like ‘ma-ma,’ da-da’ and ‘I love you.”

Happy Birthday, Boy.

14 comments:

jeanine said...

Oh I just love that! I may have to steal those words sometime (with your dear mother's permission).

Happy happy birthday Spencer!!!

nateandrebecca said...

Happy Birthday Spencer! You are growing so fast!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, dear Spencer Dee! Like it or not-you're going to have to put up with your adoring fans down here in vegas for the rest of your life...it's not our fault you're soooo dang cute!

Deanna said...

Happy Birthday Spencer! 2 already?! My goodness, where does the time go?!

DeAnna Packer said...

This comment is for Spencer Dee:
A M P T V D R and
I L O V E Y O U
So
T H E R E Y O U A R E.....

Vicky said...

Perfect words. Little boys are so precious, and yours is surely as sweet as they come! Happy birthday Spencer!

heath said...

I didn't remember that his birthday was coming up. Happy birthday Spencer!

mark and maria said...

Those were some great words! Perfect description!
Happy Birthday Spencer! We love you sooooo much!

Nola said...

Tell you mom thanks for those great words. I love little boys!!!
Happy Birthday to handsome Spencer. I can't believe he is two! How exciting. I hope you guys had tons of fun celebrating.

Andrew and Ariel said...

It's been a cazy day with my boys. Thanks for the reminder!

Wendy said...

Super cute. Your mom needs to publish those words as a "empty scrapbook" for people to add photos of their own little boy.

GreenPhoenix said...

I love that poem! So true, says I.

Julie said...

Great to share the bday with you guys. He is the best!

Sarah said...

Precious!