Lots of reasons why silence has reigned in our corner of cyberspace these past weeks (months!).
But I want it on the official record that Wes and I had the loveliest of dates last Friday night.
I wore my new spring slip-ons (thank you, Marci!). Wes wore his baby blue hospital scrubs and shoes over a pair of nifty new super-traction socks.
We ordered a Cafe Rio salad to go and drove to a favorite spot.
I mostly talked and Wes mostly listened (typical).
We laughed a lot and cried a little.
We said, "I love you," so many times. But it was never redundant.
We talked a little about our children. We talked a little about our families, a little about our friends. We talked about our faith. We marveled at the beauty. All around.
We shared a Symphony bar (our mutual favorite) on the drive home and were back in time to put our little people to bed.
We've had lots of good days like that lately. Lots of good moments. Tonight we read a chapter of the Book of Mormon together and ran into a verse we had memorized as a family many, many months ago (at Wes's request).
"For I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." Alma 36: 3
Tears sprang to my eyes as I thought of the past several weeks: the many painful moments, the many peaceful moments. I recited Alma's words again in my mind - with personal conviction, with gratitude: "For I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions."
In the midst of a painful period a few weeks ago, my brother Mark sent a letter from Germany. It was full of the kind of brotherly empathy and love you might expect - the kind we've received from all of our siblings in these past weeks as they've called and visited and helped, but it was also full of wisdom and I thought I'd share an excerpt.
"I think I can comprehend," Mark wrote, "how hard it is physically and mentally on both of you to face a physical affliction that alters you lifestyle and steals your focus. What I don't really understand, but am sensing...is how this experience is also steeling your focus, and your faith."
Life altering is a good summation of these past months (hence the no blogging/sporadic e-mail checking/social ball-dropping patterns many of you have noticed), and we know that changes will continue to come. But whatever life brings (and aren't there just a million miserable options to consider?) I hope I can "steel [my] focus" enough to find the Savior's love and light yoke - enough to foster more love at home,
Thanks to everyone for your love and support and prayers!


41 comments:
Thanks for the update and the reminder to stand firm in the faith. I love you guys and continue to pray for you!
Thank you Lori and Wes! I couldn't ask for better friends who find beauty in everything. I love you and want to come see you soon. My prayers and thoughts continue to be with you.
I was so excited to see a new post from you this morning! And its an amazing thing to see all those pictures tell their own story in addition to your beautiful words. To see you and Wes surrounded by loved ones and to see those shots of Spencer snuggled into his Daddy make me happy and I'm assuming they make you happy too since you posted them. I love you Lori.
Thanks for taking some time to share with everyone your faith and hope. I love you guys (and I'm now craving a Symphony bar--I somehow forgot about those).
So much love, admiration, and prayers from our family to yours.
Oh goodness Lori, how I love your family and your faith! You and Wes are such wonderful friends to have and I consider myself lucky. Thank you for the beautiful post and pictures. And thank you for finding beauty in all around you as you do so naturally.
We were so bummed we weren't able to see you guys this weekend (hopefully you at least got our message??) We even drove around the houses above the temple hoping we could randomly see your van or something :) Perhaps on our next trip up (May20) we can visit. We love you guys so much and of course pray to be more like you and pray for you.
You guys are shining examples of finding beauty in everything. I love you!
So good to see an update! What a beautiful spring it's been. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love your steel, grace, and honesty. May beauty continue to surround your tender spirit and dear family.
So great to see and hear an update from your wonderful family! Thank you for the reminder to see the beauty all around amidst pain- emotional and physical. My heart soars as I contemplate Elder Wirthlin's words and especially thinking of you and Wes "...the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude." Love and hugs!
I wish Milwaukee weren't so far away. I would love to come and see you. I have thought about you in the last few months wondering how things were going. I was very happy to see a new post this morning. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony. I feel blessed to know you, and always come away a better person after reading your blog.
I wish Milwaukee weren't so far away. I would love to come and see you. I have thought about you in the last few months wondering how things were going. I was very happy to see a new post this morning. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony. I feel blessed to know you, and always come away a better person after reading your blog.
I have been thinking about and praying for your family. What faith you all have. You truely inspire me and many others. Please let me know if I can do anything. I miss seeing you up here at Huntsman.
As others have already said, I am excited to see another post from you and have been thinking of you a great deal lately. I continue to marvel at your faith and am grateful for your humble example.
I have been meaning to email this: Happy Mother's Day! I love you!
Comment to this post: Ry must take photography lessons from you! And that picture of the boys made me laugh and laugh :)
4:07 am ?..... Hmmmmmm
I wish I could just give you a big hug. Thank you for being a shining eample for me. I believe that with every sorrow and trial, the Lord sends compensating blessings. May your family feel deeply of his compensating blessings.
You give me, my family, and the world hope. Thank you for the pictures and post. We love you and we do pray for you.
I was so happy to see a new post Lori. The example you and Wes and your family are to all of us... there are really no words. I'm so glad we got to sit and visit for a while. We love you.
We love you Truman family. I'm going to write that letter I've been meaning to for weeks now. Our prayers for you continued strength are added to the many others.
We love you! Thank you for sharing your family with us. We are made better everytime we spend time with you. Our thoughts and prayers go out.
I love your pictures and your so appreciate your testimony. I know the Lord loves you so much! I love you too!
We love you guys, sending prayers your way.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are always in our prayers. Love you all Aunt Sue
What a special day for you to share! What wonderful truths! What strength. We love you guys!!
Dear Lori,
You are either up awfully early or late, but we are so glad to hear your sweet voice again. We do love you and pray for you all. Much love from California.
Dear Lori,
I was so glad to hear your sweet voice again. I knew you must be busy with more important things, but I missed you. You either got up awfully early or stayed up late to send us this tender blog entry. Many thanks and many prayers from California.
I've been thinking so much about your family lately! I emailed Ryan a few weeks ago and he's been nice enough to keep me filled in a bit with what's going on. Lori, I don't comment often, but I do keep up with your blog. I'm amazed how one woman, through blogging, can be so inspiring. You guys truly make me want to be a better person. Thank you for your examples and I truly hope and pray for the best for you and Wes.
I must agree with everyone...so happy to see you all again and feel your love and inspiration:) what a beautiful post, we continue to think of you and pray for you daily! love to you all
I've missed your updates -- and your positive attitude (it always does much to lift mine!). My thoughts are with you and your little family often!
Lori,
I don't know if you remember me, but this is Kendra Stevens from high school. I have been silently stalking your blog for about 2 years. :) The things you write are always so uplifting and they strengthen my faith. I really admire your positive attitude. I love that in the midst of extreme trials, you have chosen to find beauty. I think you're amazing (and such a great example) and I will pray for you and your sweet family.
Beautiful pictures, beautiful family. We sure love you and continue to pray for you, dear friends.
Than you for your post. Your family has been in our hearts and our prayers. We love you so much. God bless you and strengthen you.
Takk for deres kjempe eksempel av alt som er godt i denne verden. Jeg er lei for at dere har pine og sorg. Ønsker å si at vi er kjempe glad i dere to og deres søte barn. Dere er inspirerende. Vi skal be for din fortsatt styrke og tro.
Saw Adrianna and Kelly tonight and they reported back a good visit last weekend. Love the pics you posted and am so glad to hear you had a lovely date. :) You all are on my mind and in my prayers every day. May lots of love, hugs, and all things good surround you - hopefully I'll be up with Andrew in a few weeks armed with more sunshine!
thanks so much for taking the time to post. we're still praying & sending you so much love.
lori - this was a beautiful post and I feel more at peace seeing your pictures and reading your words, knowing how strong your faith is and the vast love your family shares. In these difficult times, you find a way to make others smile instead of cry. Thank you for this and know that my prayers are with you and Wes.
Hello from Norway. I was thinking about you both, and tried to look you up on facebook and found the link to your blog. I have wept and laughed and marveled at the love and strength that shines through - and your beautiful, beautiful children!I am so glad we were able to meet you when you visited Norway. Your family will be in our prayers and thoughts. Love, Joanna Bjerga
I have been thinking about you and your family. I know a lot of others have said this as well, which means many prayers and thoughts are with you. We are praying for you guys. Thank you for your amazing example of faith.
Sending our love from England. You are such wonderful people and such inspirational examples. I feel so grateful to have been Wes' mission companion for 4 months of my life. We love you, Truman family, and are praying for you all. The Dockrills
Lori, thank you for being such a wonderful woman. Your faith and strength are an inspiration to me. We love you and Wes and always have you in our thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment