Three year old boy + cardboard box + bug net + tricycle + fruit leather = perfect happiness
Isn't that an accurate equation?
I'm so grateful.
Because lots of other things + various concerns + nagging worries + endless to-dos = anxiety and exhaustion.
I'm glad for moments to let all those things go.
Moments to forget that the kitchen looks like this:
And to take pride in feet that look like this:
In spite of the Me to Dad mowing ratio being:
10% = Me
90% = Dad
I know I'll have all summer to improve my percentage.
I know there will be a moment to scrub my kitchen floor. (Will there??)
I know that the tears/prayers that pour from my eyes/soul while I toss our tuna fish salad for dinner will somehow result in mercy and grace and help.
I know that with all the "trouble" and "perplexity" of life, we are never forsaken and need never despair, because,
"he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus...
For which cause we faint not;
but though our outward man perish,
yet the inward man is renewed day by day."
Sometimes it's hard to remember the concept spelled out in the chapter heading of those favorite verses: "Mortal trials are nothing as contrasted with eternal glory."
But sometimes...
But sometimes...
...when you're sharing popcorn in a protected fortress with your two favorite people...
...the things that are hard to remember are the trials.


7 comments:
There will always be cleaning to do in the kitchen, but those moments with your children won't always be there, so I say don't worry about the kitchen. It will still be there later! (Unfortunately...)
Also, thanks for your comment on my last post. Your comments always make my day. I wanted to tell you that there's no need to covet the tomato house! You live in an excellent tomato-growing climate, whereas we do not (a little jealousy over here). The past few years all our tomatoes have been killed by blight before we could harvest them because it gets so wet here. We also have a pretty short tomato-growing season. It seemed like a wise investment for this tomato-loving family.
You're awesome, Lori. I feel lucky to know you.
I SAW the box in the backyard and wondered if it had been a fort! LOVE your kids' imaginations...and for those big things that come in HUGE boxes.
Amazing. You.
Love you Lori. You always remind me to take time to enjoy the happiness that is around all the time but hard to see when completely focused on the trials and "to-do's". We need to get together at some point and hopefully soon. Been thinking about you lots lately.
Children and big boxes...What more is needed for fun!
Hello Lori, Lucy and Spencer,
I was just doing some indexing on the computer and decided to check your blog. What a treat to see your great box fort and then to see
Lucy's wonderful paintings and drawings. I love the new blog banner that you created!
Lucy I love all of your artwork. The portrait of President Washington is amazing!! Portraits are had to do, I think, but you really caught his likeness.
Is Spencer's nickname Spud? If it is I love it! I always wanted a nickname, but never really had one.
I hope you are having a nice spring.
Thanks for brightening my kind of lonely afternoon.
Hugs from your first cousin twice removed:)Gail
Have you seen the book "Not a box"? I think you and your little ones would love it! Big boxes are always wonderful for some entertainment :)
Post a Comment