Monday, May 7, 2012

Art

By the time Lucy was two, Wes and I knew we were raising a talented little artist.


I've intended to periodically post about her work.  I've meant to sit down and sift through my massive file of "favorite pieces," and scan some of them in...but since that probably won't happen anytime soon, I thought I'd just walk around the house with my camera to record a random sampling of Lucy's current work. 





  Most of these are from her church notebook.






I love the varied styles, the visible emotion, the great colors.  Many of the drawings I come across daily around the house are incomplete.




Some are bizarre!


Most reflect recent happenings/activities.  Lucy whipped this piece out in about five minutes after watching Dolphin Tale the other night:


Pencils and pastels (thank you Rachel!) constantly cover the table.








As well as various other mediums.




And we've been experimenting more and more with paint.  Lack of canvas is the only problem.  I try to pick up pieces to paint over every time we're at the D.I, but we're still inevitably short.  For example, in February, just days after after creating this fabulous tree,


Lucy brought home a President's Day reader and was determined to try her hand at a portrait.  Goodbye tree, hello George Washington!




    

(She gave him just a hint of a smile.  Which made me smile.) 

I love these love birds.



And I love that after quietly observing my ultra boring painting one night (Spencer and I always join her and she is always so encouraging of our efforts!)


...she turned the idea into a real work of art!




Here's the full scene...which I decided should be our new blog header for a while.   Isn't it fun?!

A year or so ago, I showed Lucy the clip from President Uchtdorf's beautiful talk about how creativity (of all kinds!) is a divine inheritance that extends "far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and [does] not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter..."


"What you create doesn’t have to be perfect...Don’t let fear of failure discourage you...Start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it..."



"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create."


That is what I hope my little artist will come to know - in her artwork and in her life!

26 comments:

Kim Cannon said...

Wow! I am so impressed with Lucy's art work. She is so good! Way to go Lucy!

Heather said...

WOW! She is quite the artist. Perhaps she can paint something for me. Love you guys!

Megan said...

I love it! She is definitely talented in that area and likely in many other ways of creation that you mentioned. I love that point at the end. It's a good reminder for me that if you have the Spirit you truly can create great things. thanks for that.

B said...

Very beautiful, Lucy. I love the painting of the three of you. And Lori, I love all of the opportunities and mediums that you provide her with. I want to incorporate that more into my mothering. Thank you for your example. And for sharing the thought from President Uchtdorf. It's inspired my day.

Julie said...

I've loved all her art and so happy you are capturing it and what a wonderful mom to encourage and teach about talents. She gets it from you! Simply love the new header....almost as I love my little Payson family.

McKenzie said...

Whoa! Lucy is an amazing little lady! That portrait of George Washington is incredible. Love your little family!

ROAST said...

It was fun to see you and spend time with your kids this past weekend. I hope they didn't act too much like mountain lions the rest of the weekend. I'd be happy to watch those kiddos anytime.

Janna said...

Amazing artwork! And thank you so much for the birthday phone call; so sorry I missed you! We'll connect one of these days.

Laura said...

Here's what the kids said while we looked at this post:
"WOW!"
"WHOA!"
"Lucy did that!"
"I like THAT one!"
And we all loved Spencer's song from the video! Fun!
Thank you for sharing Lucy's artwork. She is talented!

heath said...

I love them all, but I'm particularly drawn to her bird pictures for some reason. (And I just have to tell you that when we left on Saturday, Royce said something along the lines of "That was too short! I want to spend more time with those kids." We love you and your darling kids.)

Vicky said...

She has such wonderful talent! I think it's so great that you give her opportunities to create using such a variety of media. And I love your new blog header.

Whitney Hardie said...

This is wonderful! Lucy's artwork really brightened my day. Thanks little Lucy!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

She is very good! And I love how you foster that talent and allow it to blossom. I hope she keeps using that talent, because it is a wonderful one.

Alison said...

She is amazing! And that talk is one of my all time favorite talks.

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness! That is truly beautiful art and very impressive. I am not surprised at her talent, she is an incredible little girl, but it is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

DeAnna Packer said...

Some of her sketches remind me of Uncle Boyd K's early sketches.

Creation IS a beautiful thing..and a wonder. Keep your new header! Keep reminding us all of inspiring words and music and life's beautiful messages. Those are things that feed the soul....hmmm, good!

Kate said...

just wow! she's one talented girl! frame some of those... i love them!

Lessa said...

She has amazing talent. I am so impressed with that girl of yours!! The painting that became your blog header has a lot of symbolism to me. I'm glad she has a wonderful mama to help nurture that talent.

Oh! And George Washington... she did that?!?!?!? That is SO awesome.

Kendra Meyers said...

That George Washington is pretty darn good! And I love that you made her artwork your blog header. And that you took pictures of her piggy bank with the crown on and the statue thing with the Barbie doll--I probably would have put the crown and Barbie back when my girls weren't looking if my kids had done that. Good idea to notice that as a child's way of creating something.

nateandrebecca said...

Love this! You definitely have a talented little artist on your hands! Canvas can definitely get pricey. Another option you can always use is priming masonite with gesso. It takes a little more time obviously, but it is a lot cheaper. I did this all the time in college. Illustration board can also make for a great surface depending on your medium.

Brenda said...

When I pulled up your blog and saw the new header it truly made me smile...........keep it! Melissa thinks George Washington looks very professional! What a talented family!!

Erin Wallace said...

Lori!! How are you! I send you an e-mail (and an FB message). I'm trying to hunt you down :)
Erin

Loni said...

What a talented artist she is! And I just love your new header! So beautiful!

Mark and Maria said...

WOW!!! She is amazing Lori! Combine her artistic talent with your words and you guys could write and publish some pretty awesome books! Love you.

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness, she was definitely born with a gift. Most adults couldn't draw that George Washington picture as well as she did! You are such a talented writer, you could write books and she could illustrate them for you!

jeanine said...

Oh. My. Word. She is so good! She needs to make a little piece of art for my new house :) And the new header is perfection.