Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Strong Heart

The days before Wes passed away were like a dream. 


Completely surreal.


 Completely excruciating. 



Wes's parents and siblings and I sat around his bedside for hours and hours at a time, talking and remembering.  There was laughter and joy along with the pain. 




A dear friend had loaned us a monitor to track Wes's vitals.  When our various conversations slowed, we would sit and quietly watch the numbers on the screen.


The lower Wes's oxygen level sank, the more we tensed and watched and waited and wondered.  But even as the number plummeted, he hung on.

"He's got such a strong heart!" 

I don't remember how many times that phrase was uttered, in sheer awe.  His heart worked at full running speed for days, trying desperately to oxygenate his body.  I can still feel the strong, rapid throbbing on my palm.


It was agonizing, of course, that feeling of his heart fighting for life. But now it seems to me the perfect symbol of his life. 

 A strong heart. 

Strong because it was soft (Alma 62:41).  And strong because it was conditioned by daily acts of kindness spanning all the years of his life.  I could give you ten thousand examples.  I'll just give you two or three:

When I was pregnant with Spencer, I couldn't breathe at night.  The doctor said prenatal congestion was common.  So I started the ritual of quietly waking up in the middle of every night to fill and drink a tall glass of water, hoping to quench the unquenchable dryness of my mouth.  Then one night I woke up and noticed a filled glass already on the night stand.  "Nice,"  I thought with a smile, drained the cup, and fell immediately back to sleep.  I forgot to thank Wes in the morning, but another glass of water was there the next night.  And the next.  And the next.  Did I ever thank him?  I hope.  Did he ever tell me to get my own dang cup of water before bed?  Never.  Just kept quietly filling the glass.  A group of friends sang The Lord is my Shepherd at Wes's funeral.  Tears filled my eyes when they reached that beloved phrase,  "My cup runneth over." 

During our marriage, I was never a great napper (I'm learning now!  fast!).  But sometimes, after long hours of work, or when I was sick with a migraine, Wes'd send me to lay down on our bed while he played with the children.  Sometimes I slept.  Most of the time I just closed my eyes and listened to the giggles of my little girl and boy in love with their daddy.  Inevitably, when the play got too rambunctious, I would hear the sound of gentle hands quietly pulling the bedroom door closed.  So the laughter wouldn't wake me.

Yesterday after church, my body wanted one of those undisturbed naps of yesteryear, but Spencer was crying for a push on the swing.  I put him off for so long.  I was tired.  I was selfish.  I told him no.  No. No. No.

But then I remembered Wes.  I remembered how a few weeks before he died, when even turning over in bed required significant struggle, he insisted I help him out of his wheelchair so he could sit on the floor with Spencer to play "fire monster." 



His body was weak, but his heart was strong. 


That memory pushed me to the sand, where I pushed our boy on the swing.  And Spencer laughed, and laughed, and laughed. 


I listened to him with love.  And hoped he (and I!) will grow to have his daddy's strong heart.

18 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you Lori. You have such a great way with words and I am grateful that you share them with all of us, but especially with me. I continue to learn more from you each day and also from Wes as you tell your story. Love you!

jeanine said...

Tears rolled down my cheeks this morning as I read your words and looked at these pictures. Thank you for sharing such tender moments with us. I love you.

Megan said...

Thank you. I hope that I can have a strong heart like your Wes.

heath said...

Those pictures of course brought tears to my eyes. I'm grateful you documented in pictures those hard, but tender moments. It was hard to see Wes that way, physically weak and suffering. But his spirit was vibrant, and you're right, his heart was strong. And I want to remember him that way as well as the way he was when he was physically healthy; I want to remember the love he emanated in his final weeks and days. Even though it's hard.

Unknown said...

No one has a stronger, softer,better heart...no one.

Whitney Hardie said...

These images are powerful and beautiful and touching. As are your words here in this place. Thank you for always being willing to share your journey. It helps me to learn more about love and reminds me of the condition in which I want my heart to be.

Much love to you and your family.

DeAnna Packer said...

I now add another sacred thought that enriches the temple ordinance.
These painful rememberances are truly sacraments to holy alliances. Tears flow freely while reaching heavenward in gratitude for strong...beautiful hearts that lift us.

Katie said...

That was beautiful, Lori. What a wonderful tribute. I wish the whole world could read this and see what a TRULY strong man looks like.

Marie W said...

I love your heart, Lori. Thank you for this glimpse at true, everlasting love.

Melanie Anne said...

So beautiful Lori! You have such a true and humble heart-- I love reading your wise thoughts. Thank you so much
for sharing your sweet love story, eternal perspective and incredible attitude!

Amy said...

What beautiful pictures.... You are amazing Lori. Wes sure had a big heart and you do too.

Star said...

Your pictures speak volumes, but your words also capture such depth. Thank you for sharing such a poignant story. You have a wonderful heart. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Janna said...

I can't add to what you said and what others have said...incredibly tender and touching. How blessed we are to know the Trumans!

Vicky said...

I echo what Janna said. I am so touched by this, and ever so grateful to know the Trumans! Thanks for sharing these tender, personal things.

Loni said...

What a pure and strong heart you have Lori!

Grandma lu said...

Hearts knitted together. You two traded kindness and it increased to fill you both and spill over to the rest of us. What treasure. Forever.

Laura said...

I do believe you are growing that strong heart, if you haven't attained it already! If you ever need a hand to push the swing, please let me know. :) We have J and M and myself over here, ready and waiting to give you some reprieve, although I know you love those laughing children of yours. There are moments when help is needed and I do believe that is why we are your neighbors (not only that, but you have blessed OUR lives much more than I can count!)
We LOVE you! I am so glad you are writing these things down, and I think it will serve as a blessing to you in more than one way. You are strong to write these. You have to be.

Julie said...

We love and miss our Wes. He was in a class by himself, but.... you, my dear sister, have the strongest and most beautiful heart I know. Think of you daily.