In my basement.
There. I said it!
I love that quote for its own merit, but also because Wes loved it and lived it so well. We never stopped dreaming and planning together. The odds of his cancer diagnosis were crushing, of course, but months, weeks even, before his death, we were still discussing hopes and plans for the future. Just in case. I marvel at the memory of Wes applying and interviewing for jobs even when cancer was robbing him of basic reading abilities. I reel just a bit when I remember his weakened body working determinedly to build our home. I wonder sometimes if I should have let him do those things - take those kinds of risks. But dreams are often risks. And if Wes and I learned anything from dreaming and planning together we learned these things:
Answers to prayers and fulfillment of dreams can and do come in miraculous ways. Our marriage was full of examples of that!
We also learned that somehow, the process - the praying, the dreaming, the believing - somehow that is a kind of answer and fulfillment on its own. Our dreaming was always accompanied by all the love and encouragement Heaven had to offer - even the dreams that didn't work out the way we wanted or expected. Surely, God desires our enthusiastic pursuit of worthy dreams.
And so I've been back at the dream drawing board. Lots of people have been there with me, helping me to build on the insistent little idea that occurred to me one predawn morning a year and a half ago, while I sat, sleepless, next to Wes's warm, deeply slumbering self.
I didn't know then how things would turn out. I wasn't sure I should pursue it. It seemed like a risk. It still, sometimes, seems like a risk.
I would be indebted to you all if you would spread the word to your friends, relatives, grandchildren, mailpersons, etc., so that maybe they could tell their sisters, neighbors, hair-dressers, and so forth, so that perhaps I could get a handful of sweet little students enrolled for the fall.
Crossing my fingers, holding my breath, and hoping you all have a wonderful Fourth of July week! (It will be sparkling with meaning and sentiment 'round these parts! Thanks for your sweet well wishes!!)
Love, love,
Lori




34 comments:
Oh Lori, it turned out so cute. I can't wait to see it. Of course we will spread the word! So excited for all the little children that get to spend several hours a week with you (and a little jealous)!
If only Jack were a little bit older! My hope is that one day he will be in your preschool class....if we are here long enough I will definitely enroll him. Until then, I will tell everyone I know!!
I so wish that we lived close enough to have our kids in your preschool one day. But you can bet we'll tell everyone we know that the best preschool their kids could go to is yours!
This is amazing sister!!! I have a few more things to email you --oh, and btw THANK YOU for having my girly last week!!! (I feel like such a loser for not ever even talking to you about it!!!) miss you!
Oh, Lor! It's so, so beautiful! You have such a knack. Wanna decorate my house? I can hardly stand how gorgeous it is. I wish Lizzie were nearby--it would about make my life (and hers) to have you as a teacher. I'll do my best to spread the word.
Lori... it turned out amazingly perfect. I've been dying to see what you came up with and it is adorable!! I agree with Michelle... want to come decorate my home?? Pretty please? I love Lucy's painting of Washington hanging up there too :) And if we lived nearby (which I wish we did!) I would enroll Alex in a heartbeat.
Lori! I love it! It's darling. Amd amazing. And professional. And lovely and praiseworthy.
I am not surprised at all. :)
I wish I lived near you, because I am sure you will be a wonderful preschool teacher! Good luck!
This is SO perfect for you! All the details are gorgeous. I wish my little Vincey could be a student of yours. I shared your website via Facebook.
Wow! It looks so great Lori! I'll definitely spread the word. Some people I know have got to know people that live by you ;) I SO WISH I could send Lucy to your preschool!!! You have no idea!
I hope you have a good week. Thinking about you.
I'll do what I can! This looks so fun, I wish I could enroll!^^
Ahhhh...Lori this is beautiful!!! You are so talented in every respect!!! LOVE your school!!! The name, the decor and everything about it! You will be an unbelievable teacher, wish my grandkids were closer!!! Love you dear....our thoughts and prayers are with you this week :)
Ahhhh...Lori this is beautiful!!! You are so talented in every respect!!! LOVE your school!!! The name, the decor and everything about it! You will be an unbelievable teacher, wish my grandkids were closer!!! Love you dear....our thoughts and prayers are with you this week :)
Its beautiful! And it makes me a little sad that I'm moving even further away otherwise I would be driving Ryan down to you every chance I could get. I hope you get a lot of applicants and little bodies enrolled in your preschool.
I am BEYOND excited for your new adventure. I am just super bugged that the commute would be unrealistic for Logan. It looks perfect. I can't wait to hear all of the updates :)
Everything about this is perfect! Those littles that you will be teaching are in for a treat! Love you Lori, Lucy,and Spencer our hearts are with you especially this week.
Lori, if I lived close I would enroll my little Claire in a second. I have been nothing but inspired and amazed by you! To have some of that rubbed off onto my children would be my dream. That is such a DARLING little setup you have down there. Good luck!
I am so happy for you Lori! I wish I had a preschooler this year, but I don't. I will spread the word through my neighborhood for you!! You did such a beautiful job!
The website and school looks super great! I'm excited for this school and those students who will get a great Pre-K education from you.
Yay, yay, yay!!! I've been wondering how this was going; your basement transformed to preschool looks fantastic! How I wish we lived there and I could send little McKay into your good hands. All the best for this new adventure!
I'm so proud of you sis. You've worked so hard to make this dream a reality. It's almost as beautiful as you. What lucky, little people who get to come.
Oh how I wish Rhett could be in your preschool! The commute would be a little rough! I know your preschool will be a shining success! I wish you the best of luck, though I don't think you really need luck. Like I said, your school will be wonderful, and I'm going to share it with some people I know right away!
Thinking of you this week (and always, really).
I'm so excited for you, Lori. This is the perfect endeavor for you.
You are beautiful! I want to come to school with you every day, but am grateful for the lessons you teach me here. Thank you and love you!
Lori, I LOVE it! Very cute and creative. Oh how I wish we lived close enough to send our little ones... you will be a fabulous teacher!
Ugh...now I am more sad that we moved so far away! I had Ty in BYU preschool, but Amaya NEEDS something and this would have been fantastic. Oh well...guess I better start looking around Vernal. I will spread the word too.
I want to move to Utah and enroll my sweet babes. Love the beautiful school you have created, Lori. Spreading the word!!
A friend that graduated high school with your husband put a link to your blog last year when he passed. I have been reading about your life ever since and have so touched by your grace.
My eyes welled up with tears when I read this post...I understand your dream 100%! 110%!!!
I, too, have had a dream like yours...but unfortunately, where I live...basements don't exist...so I just put it all on the back burner.
We couldn't afford preschool for our daughter after our fourth child and my brain starting going and going and my dream became a very small reality...images came to me as to how I could set up a portable preschool in my home during the night feedings and I realized my dream could almost come true! I pulled it off...sorta. Cherish your basement! :)
I imagined your emotions as I read this post...the excitement, the nervousness, the happiness that your dream is coming true! I hope it is everything your heart desires.
I hope lesson plans come to you in the middle of the night. I hope you flop on the couch in pure exhaustion after a very productive class. I hope you see a bargain on school supplies and know exactly how you would use them. I hope you run into your students at the store or at church and see their adoration for their teacher. I hope you have a student that you can literally see the progress he has made. I hope you have a waiting list and I hope you have to raise your prices next year because the demand for your preschool is so high!
I wish you all of the very, very best.
A friend that graduated high school with your husband put a link to your blog last year when he passed. I have been reading about your life ever since and have so touched by your grace.
My eyes welled up with tears when I read this post...I understand your dream 100%! 110%!!!
I, too, have had a dream like yours...but unfortunately, where I live...basements don't exist...so I just put it all on the back burner.
We couldn't afford preschool for our daughter after our fourth child and my brain starting going and going and my dream became a very small reality...images came to me as to how I could set up a portable preschool in my home during the night feedings and I realized my dream could almost come true! I pulled it off...sorta. Cherish your basement! :)
I imagined your emotions as I read this post...the excitement, the nervousness, the happiness that your dream is coming true! I hope it is everything your heart desires.
I hope lesson plans come to you in the middle of the night. I hope you flop on the couch in pure exhaustion after a very productive class. I hope you see a bargain on school supplies and know exactly how you would use them. I hope you run into your students at the store or at church and see their adoration for their teacher. I hope you have a student that you can literally see the progress he has made. I hope you have a waiting list and I hope you have to raise your prices next year because the demand for your preschool is so high!
I wish you all of the very, very best.
wow...don't know why my comment was posted twice...sorry.
but I forgot to say that I wish I potential customers to send your way...but we don't know one single person in Payson.
But I have feeling you won't need much help finding folks!
Keep dreaming!
Lori!
It turned out SO SO SO fabulous! I wish my kids could come to your school!! I'll definitely spread the word!
xo
Dear Lori, I wish Rafe could come to your preschool, but the drive from California each week might get old! Your room is beautiful! I can't wait to read the blogs from Miss Lori!
What a fantastic school room!!! Wow I can tell that you are going to run a very successful wonderful little school! I wish so much I could send my little Cannon to you-- if only we were closer! Many good wishes from Tennessee !! You are an inspiration!! Xo
I just had a friend ask on FB if anyone knows any good preschools around the Provo area. I sent her the link to your preschool website, and she said she'd look into it. Hopefully she will realize what an awesome blessing it would be to have Lori Truman for her daughter's preschool teacher! Fingers crossed that she'll contact you. Her name is Emily Pearson
Post a Comment