Saturday, October 13, 2012

Learning



My kids have never been in swimming lessons.  Because I'm the kind of slacker mom who just can't handle the two week commitment.  Maybe one of these summers I'll get over my issues.  In the meantime, Lucy is lucky to have a good grandpa.


She and he had swimming lessons together every time we were at my parents' pool. 
 
 
Lucy made large strides (strokes?). 
 

 
And these are some of my sweetest summer memories.   


One thing's for sure: she's not lacking in commitment....

 
always the first in the water and the last out....
 

I thought she might turn into a permanent prune!


But she loved every water logged hour in grandpa's pool.  So did her brother.



(Although he's still very committed to those cheery yellow water wings.) 


 
There was also progress made on the bicycle. 
 
 
 
It's now just that - a bicycle.
 

 


 
Hula hooping was another newly aquired summer skill.
 
 
 
 


And in August, we took the plunge and started piano lessons!
 
 
Lucy has a great teacher and is excited about what she's learning. 
 
 
There have, already, been moments of frustration.  ("Mom!  Why did you want me to take piano?!")...but the innate reward of mastering a new concept seems to replace each frustration,
 
 
 and she is plodding forward at an admirable pace.  
 
 
 
And I just kind of sit back in awe of it all. 
What a blessing, to watch a child learn and grow.  
 


4 comments:

Megan said...

Wow. What a remarkable summer of learning. And I love the pruny fingers and toes!!

heath said...

That is a lot of stuff for one summer. Sometimes I wonder how come I don't make those kinds of efforts still. What cute, cute, kids.

jeanine said...

Love those pruny toes and fingers! William had a great learning summer too! Everything that Lucy did... except piano. We need to get our hands on one!

Haley DeHart said...

I love your pictures, they always inspire me to get my camera out.