Monday, February 25, 2013

How's It Goin' In There?

The sun was out today. I was glad.  We had errands.  I told Spencer that I was headed for a quick shower and that he should put away the clothes on his bedroom floor while he waited for me.  He was more than a little put out by my directive ("m-o-m! It's so hard!"), but finally trudged into his room and got started. 

I forgot about him until about 15 minutes later when I was putting on mascara.  "How's it goin' in there?"  I called from my one eye shut, one eyebrow raised position in front of the mirror.

"Mom,"  he said faintly from his room, with a hint of apology in his voice, "I kind of got in my bed."

I smiled.
And finished getting ready.
And headed in to help him. 



A tough job can wear a guy clean out!


Honestly, I was a little surprised to see him asleep at 10:30 in the morning.  I felt for a fever, but he seemed fine.  "He must be growing," I thought to myself.  I appreciated that he had managed to line up his shoes and put away a few pairs of pajamas before hiding under the covers. 


I picked up the rest of his clothes from the floor and cleaned the kitchen while he slept.  I thought about his sweet, slightly nervous voice, "Mom...I kind of got in my bed." 

 
My heart loved his tired, overwhelmed little soul.  And somehow, I related to his confession.  Perhaps a little more than I'd like to admit. 

I feel like I accomplish so little some days.  Even when I have lots of time.  I feel overwhelmed some days.  Even when I have little to do.  Last Saturday we had no commitments.  I could have cleaned and planned and shopped and the whole nine yards.  But my kids were not cooperating.  And it was snowing.  And...

(the view from under my covers that Saturday, sometime early afternoon.)

"How's it going down there?" I imagine Heavenly Father asking sometimes. 
"I kind of got in my bed,"  is my sheepish (and sometimes literal) answer too often. 

I usually feel guilty about that. 
But today, as I looked at my little sleeping son, as I tucked the blankets close around his body and marveled at his growing, I thought with a tear or two, maybe that's how Heavenly Father looks at us.





 
He wants us to try hard.
He wants us to work.
He wants us to be tough.
But maybe he realizes that all the growth sometimes takes a toll.

 
And maybe... he indulges a moment or two (a year or three?) under the covers. 

21 comments:

Helicreature said...

'Mom, I kind of got in my bed' made me smile. What an adorably sweet thing to say. You are ALL growing. I am watching your growth and united strength unfold in front of my eyes every time I read your posts.
Please be kind to yourself, you really are doing so wonderfully well - and I know that you are being watched from Heaven with love and admiration.

Whitney Hardie said...

Absolutely. I hide under my covers a lot these days. And that's OK. We're just little eternal beings doing a lot of growing.

Jacque said...

You are so sweet and honest to share your experiences and trials. Many of us with less reason to crawl back into bed still do so on many days. You are not alone. I hope your covers are warm and that you see them as a hug from not just Heavenly Father but from all of your friends rooting for you. Miss you and love you!

heath said...

I don't often crawl in my bed (too far away) but I often do far less than I feel I should do (and spend a whole lot more time on the couch than is probably healthy. But I try . . . and when I don't "succeed", and a weeks worth of dirty dishes are strewn around the kitchen . . . and living room . . . it's a nice reminder to remember that I'm still loved.

P.S.--We've got to get you some waterproof mascara my sweet, lovely friend (though admittedly I could never do waterproof mascara myself because I'm too lazy to wash off my mascara at night . . .)

Julie said...

That is what I'm talking about. So funny that we had this conversation the night before. We're too hard on ourselves and I love your analogy. I also love that my absolutely "perfect" baby sis sometimes feels like me... maybe I'm not so bad after all...haha...

lori said...

I promise I've tried waterproof! =) Can't do it! But I do wash up nicely! I don't have cries like that everyday. But the black eyes are a fairly familiar sight and i always have a good laugh at how scary (scary!!) I look once the water stops flowing. =)

I love you all! Thanks for your kind words and love!

heath said...

You are beautiful even with a few mascara tears. Love you!

Vicky said...

Love you Lori. I'm certain you're doing better than you think! And you're a great mom. Don't forget that!

Megan said...

So I'm with Jacque on this. I have a lot less reason to crawl back into bed and while I don't crawl back into bed, I definitely sit on the couch doing diddley squat far too often. Thanks for this reminder though. I hope that Heavenly Father looks down with such a caring thought as opposed to, "Oh great, there she goes again." I feel that way about myself too many times. "Oh no, there she goes again." Life is a interesting balancing act. Thanks for this glimpse into daily life. You are amazing.

- said...

Perfect.

I love you.

I need to remember this always.

You're beautiful and doing such an incredible job.

- said...

PS The above is from me, Michelle. I think I am signed in as Mark. :)

Nola said...

I also love this! It resonates with me at different times through my life. Now I have a better way to describe it and relate to it. Thanks for helping me understand a little bit better. You are terrific.

Grandma lu said...

Love the view of the big boy who knew how to find the bed when he needed it. Glad you can too. Love you.

jeanine said...

Oh I've been there too! Too many times.

ps. I also loved the glimpse of Spencer's room... that little yellow dresser has made itself useful over the years hasn't it?

Deanna said...

I love that you post pics of yourself like that! I usually talk to myself or Heavenly Father in the mirror on those days. Remembering that we are children, too and acting on that remembrance when we parent is so powerful. Wish I was more intentional about that most days. But, maybe Heavenly Father knows I'll get there eventually. I think He does. I so admire your strength AND your honesty. You need to write a book someday Lori :)

Melanie Anne said...

Oh Lori, I loved this post...it really touched my heart and I think you are right! You are such a blessing to me--I love your insights and feel like we are kindred spirits:) xoxo
PS thank you for the sweet comment on Bridger's heart post. Your prayers mean alot!

Andrew and Ariel said...

Thanks, I needed this post. I should have read it this morning. Then I could have gotten back in bed instead of getting out and being grumpy!

Heather said...

Lori, thank you! I have several days where I want to crawl into bed and stay for awhile, a very long while. I love that you take the time to find a lesson in every day experiences. You are so patient and loving no matter the situation. Thank you for the lessons and the correct perspective on life. Love you!

Laura said...

OF COURSE we are allowed to have "under the covers" moments!!! Of course, of course! Makes perfect sense, dear friend!

Lindsay said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. Beautiful.

Jeff and Jill said...

Thank you for sharing, I needed to hear this today! I think sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves, and this is a good reminder that it's okay to zone out for a while. Lots of love to you guys!!