Monday, May 20, 2013

For Lucy

*love this pic Michelle took of you in CA*
 
Lucy, Lucy, Lu. I promised myself an hour or two to write to you, so this will be an hour or two of writing (long), without planning (piecemeal), and may be as much about me as about you (selfish).  But, you'll forgive me, I need the therapy.  And you'll understand someday, I think.  When you're a mother.  Or when you're otherwise caught in the middle of life's multi-layered emotions.


There was a time in my life when May was kind of the most awesome month of the year - the quiet month that came after BYU finals/check-outs/women's conference chaos.  You and your Dad and I (Spud, too, when he came along) would take walks every morning and spend long hours romping around beautifully manicured BYU grounds.  The cafeteria was suddenly quiet.  The ducks were always paddling around.   Mother's Day was always a treat.  Memorial Day never brought tears.  And your birthday always just settled itself happily into the general unrushed togetherness of the month. 

Now, May is much more of a roller coaster.  And roller coasters are fun.  You, especially, are a fan.  You've loved these school-winding-down, birthday-approaching, spring-in-all-it's-rain-and-shine-glory days.  Every morning last week you'd get ready for school and bid us farewell saying, "It's my last Monday (Tuesday/Wed/Etc) as a seven year old!"  The night before your birthday was to be celebrated at school you told me, "I can just hear the morning announcements!!"  (during which your birthday would be noted).  I have loved your sincere excitement.  It's all been such a big deal.  At moments, even weighty.  "I'm not sure I'm ready to give up seven,"  you told me one thoughtful afternoon, "But," you continued with cheerful resolve, "there's no choice."

Exactly, I thought (a little less cheerfully).  Sometimes there's no choice. 

I wanted your eight birthday to be special.  A little island in our last-days-of-school sea.  I tried to think ahead.  I drove to Provo with Spencer to have your beloved name put on a new set of beloved scriptures.  That little errand brought a flood of joy to my heart.  I had other ideas about what we might do, how we might celebrate.  But my mind has been so preoccupied with preschool.  And my heart has been busy trying to smother the surges of grief that accompany every happy event of our lives.  I was beyond grateful that cute Rachelle and Scott came to play with you and Spencer so I could go to the temple the Friday night before your birthday. 

I got home late that night, and stayed up later, trying to prepare...something for your birthday morning.  It was supposed to rain.  So birthday plan A had to wait for Sunday.  I quickly (wearily) decorated the kitchen with all the usual cheery items and went to bed without wrapping a single gift. 

We woke up.  You came into my room with sleepy eyes and an excited smile.  I hugged you and sang to you and then sent you to the bathtub with Spud so I could stay in bed for two more moments.  Which uncharacteristic habit has become so characteristic.  Which I hate.  But that's an aside.  You were thrilled with our "Birthday Breakfast Cafe" and it's meager menu options. 


You were thrilled with the gifts from Grandma Truman and Aunt Andrea.

 
And you loved the morning's calls and visitors.


By 11:00 o'clock I was still in my robe and wearing hair that hadn't been washed for probably a week, so I told you and Spud to build a birthday fort and listen to your new "Scripture Scouts" CD while I hopped in the shower.  I came out to find you two snuggled up and listening happily while devouring a package of gummy worms that had been delivered by our fun neighbors. 


Sweetest little scene.  I quietly tucked away the remaining 2? 3? worms, and we jumped in the car to meet Heather and Royce for lunch at Cafe Rio before heading to the Eyring Science Center for a delightful afternoon. 

 


 The only sadness was when Spencer's crafted-from-the-heart rocket got stuck in a tree after it's very first launch. 
Not even Royce + an umbrella could reach it!
 
 
*Moment of silence for the rocket*
And then on to the bounce house
(always good after a tragedy)



(R&H even took us out for cupcakes!)
 

 
It was such a fun afternoon and I was so glad Royce had caught wind of BYU's AstroFest.  I knew you'd love it.  You have told me repeatedly that you want to be a scientist when you grow up.  Every week or two you have a new scientific obsession (stars, rocks, planets, fish, the body...).  You remind me so much of your dad that way. 

 
You're looking so much like him these days (in a beautiful, feminine way!)!  And being at BYU reminded me of him too. 
 
 
Reminded me of those quiet May days of yesteryear.  I miss him. With a wide, spreading ache that fills every inch of me. The next morning, Sunday, I had to kind of turn off emotionally, in order to be functional.  Unplugging like that is a decent option sometimes, when "get through the day" is the only real goal.  But it's not what I wanted on your birthday. Grandma and Grandpa came in the afternoon.  They were patient and happily played with you and Spud as I slowly chipped away at our dinner preparation.  By the time your requested meal was ready, I felt like I could turn my heart back on without of flood of tears.  Which was good.  Because I wanted it on.  To see you
 

 
After dinner you opened Grandma and Grandpa's gift, which was a highlight of the weekend. 
 


  
(A soft little "comforter" for you to finish crocheting yourself! You've been busy with your chain stitch ever since...even asked today if you could take your yarn to recess. =)
 
 


 Then, a final gift or two.


 
Your scriptures,

 
a few other special books, and,
 
 
 a little tree to plant in honor of your eighth birthday and your baptism. 
 
 
 

There were eight dollar bills tied to the tree and eight scripture references.  The latter I've been jotting down over the past few weeks.  Just random references I thought you'd like to mark in your new scriptures.  Like 3 Ne 28:24...the verse your dad and I discussed when we decided on your name.  And (given your current outer space obsession) Psalms 147: 4...about how God knows all the stars by name.  And (for your love of reading) D&C 88:118.  The idea is that you can look up and mark one scripture before bed each night. 



     

You were so sweet and solemn about untying them all.  Didn't want any help.  You've marked a few of them already.  And I was grateful you appreciated the little tree as the treasure it was meant to be. 


It's a "Cinderella" crab apple.  A princess just like you! (And not much taller!)
 

 
If it takes root, it will have beautiful white blossoms each spring to remind us of your baptism.  And of our covenants.  And of our Savior.  And of the beautiful Sunday night we spent planting with Grandpa,

 



And crocheting with Grandma,


and celebrating all the sweetness and light you bring to our family.



 
And to my heart.  

 
The gospel's true and I love you, Lucy girl. (And I kind of like that brother of yours too.)


14 comments:

heath said...

The tree could not be more perfect. The symbolism of the white flowers, the treasured scriptures. I love it all. What a treasure for that Lucy girl. And what a treasure she is--not all 8 year-olds would appreciate such gifts as a tree and a special quilt she gets to finish on her own and her own set of scriptures. Love and hugs to you dear friend. Wish I knew how to help the hurt.

Megan said...

beautiful. Your daughter is truly blessed and loved more than she even knows. Thank you for sharing this special girl and these special days with the internet and with me. I am inspired by the beautiful gifts you shared with your Lucy, the tree, the scriptures, the references, the everything. I hope you know how much you are loved as well.

Deanna said...

How absolutely wonderful! I love that symbolism of the white flowers to remind her of the covenants she made. Reminds me of Matt. 7:11. You are an incredible gift giver (my grateful heart still thanks you for that sweet Christmas book for my Christmas baby). How much MORE shall our Father in heaven give us good gifts when we ask Him? I'm sure she can feel that. I love how involved your parents are in your children's lives. Much love to all of you!

jeanine said...

You always come up with the perfect gifts--filled with meaning. I love the idea of the tree!

And I'm glad that Rachelle and Scott gave you the chance to head to the temple. They had so much fun!

DeAnna Packer said...

The 'lessons of life', like the chapters in a book seem to be more fully expressed as an inner love rests painfully in the shadows..... and meaning becomes more meaningful as rays of the sun burst through clouds of darkness. How brave you are my Darling.... How a mother wishes she could wipe away the tears from your noble heart. Yet, I rest asured that Christ WILL wipe away all tears some day.
In the mean time...we love to see your 'mothering' and watch joyfully as your little charges respond to your tender guidance.
Thanks for giving 'birth' to so many wondrous ideas...

suzy said...

I love all of this! Can't wait to be with you this weekend. Forgive us for the birthday call she didn't receive--we will make it up this weekend! :)

Amy said...

I love this Lori. You are a good, good mom. Hope Lucy had a happy birthday! We loved seeing you guys at Matt's reception.

McKenzie said...

Lori, I cannot believe she's eight. She absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing such wonderful birthday memories. I think May is such a wonderful month of rejuvenation and hope to have a child someday with a May birthday that I can plant a symbolic tree with that with--what a wonderful and special thing! Please pass on my belated birthday wishes to that beautiful little girl!

Kate said...

your words are perfect, along with your pictures. what a weekend for you and lucy! you just never cease to amaze me and i'm not sure you know how much i love your blog and writing and soul. i'm sorry these happy milestones come with sadness that wes isn't here on earth to enjoy them with you. he is no doubt watching from above so proud of you. you are surrounded by angels on earth and in heaven. keep up the good work momma!

Grandma lu said...

Oh, beautiful. So glad to see GP & GM Packer and your good friends there. Like your mother, you make the gospel the very air your children breathe. They are so blessed. Love you all!

B said...

Lori, you are the giver of such beautiful, meaningful gifts. :)

Laurie said...

Lori, You are truly amazing!!! Spent the last hour reading through your past posts...can't quite get a grip on my emotions!!
So much to learn from you. You have such a way with words that really tug at the heart strings and teach us all what is really important!
Thanks for taking the time to come to Matt and Sarah's reception!!! We were all so excited to see all of you. So glad I found your camera, because you take incredible pictures and I'm sure they were not all on your computer yet! Tender mercies!!! Love you all!!

Laura said...

All I can say is...you are strong. You are so strong. You have loving neighbors, and friends, and family who, I want you to know, think about you on holidays, celebrations, and every other day of the year, wanting most to ease your hurt. You are well-loved by so many!
And your children! What sincere, kind, amazingly awesome children you have! Beautiful Lucy and being eight, and loving the last few days of seven as much as the first days of being eight!
We love you much!

Melanie Anne said...

Oh I love this...all of it!! you are such a sweet Momma...a "Mother who Knows" You are creating such beauty and testimony with these traditions in your home and family. I am going to plant a tree for my next two boys 8th bdays...so fun and meaningful! Lucy is a doll! happy Birthday sweet girl!