"I like to look for rainbows, whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again"
And a few other quiet moments when my heart needed a reminder of the covenants we make with God, our Father. And He with us.
I remember that when I was pregnant with Lucy I often had sleepless nights anticipating the many unknowns of motherhood. I remember worrying about all the things I'd need to teach our little girl. I remember thinking particularly one night about baptism. How would I teach Lucy about baptism? Did I really understand it myself? Those late night reflections motivated me to study the topic a little - made me feel like I ought to be better prepared, somehow - no longer for my own sake, but for hers.
I think back on those sleepless nights with a little mirth and much tenderness in my heart. Motherhood has been so much simpler and harder than I could have ever anticipated then. And I'm slowly learning that I'm not so much the teacher as I am an older student in the same class.
The kids and I had a classic learning moment together last week when Spencer locked us all out the house. His confession was pretty casual until he saw my expression ("You did what!?"), watched me walk to each door with growing dismay, and finally realized the implications of his action. "And we can't get our food?" he asked as I listed all the necessities that were inaccessible as a result of his poor choice. I admit to several moments of seething before remembering that I'd given a spare key to our home teacher a few months ago.
I was so relieved to remember. And Spencer was sincerely grateful when I told him there was still a way to get home. And as we walked down the road to the Leavitt's (Lucy on her bike without shoes), I remembered the verses in Revelation I had read just that morning.
"Thus saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key...
I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."
Last week at her baptismal interview, the bishop asked Lucy if she'd prayed about getting baptized. I kicked myself a little for never thinking to formally encourage that, but tried to make up for my neglect when we got home. Lucy and I talked about how we should always ask Heavenly Father for help when we're making decisions, and that getting baptized is a very important decision to pray about. Lucy listened patiently. "OK," she said sincerely, "but I think I already know the answer."
And she does.
"For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost. And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate." 2 Nephi 31
"An open door."
To our Father's house.
Through our Savior, "the keeper of the gate," who holds the key and makes all of our covenants effectual.
Which is so relieving.
Because someday we all want to go home.


10 comments:
I've been to many children's baptism. And I'm always amazed by how strong the Spirit is at them. For over a year now I've been especially looking forward to Lucy's baptism, I suppose in part because I know that she knows and understands. What a great, big soul she has.
Oh I'm so glad you shared about when you were expecting Lucy! I have been freaking myself out about teaching our daughter all these things (though, I hadn't even thought about baptism! I need to do more studying :). Lucy has definitely been lucky in what she's learned from her parents!
Important keys that open doors bringing us HOME..... Hmmmmmm Maybe Spencer's untimely 'lock out' was more timely than we realize as we ponder the "lesson in that" :)
Oh, GM DeAnna, there is a "lesson in that", in every key that turns, in every rainbow and in the rain that falls. Like you, Lori is a master teacher and that is why Lucy "already knows the answer." Love you all, will be there tomorrow.
Lori, somehow you always write something that I really need to hear! And I love how often you refer to scriptures you have recently read. It truly inspires me to be more diligent in my scripture study. I'm sure Lucy's baptism was lovely!
I remember writing in my journal when Azure was 6 wks old, "We often think of parents as the main “teachers” but in these short 6 wks I have come to realize that we as parents are actually the students." But, I love your perspective that we are older students in the same class- so true!
I smile to think of Lucy's response that she already knows the answer. And, I second your MIL that you are a master teacher! Wish we could have been there today. Can't wait to read about it :)
Rainbows and covenants...I'm so glad there are small reminders of the big lessons we must learn in this life! You are the dearest neighbor; thank you!
Oh you teach me so much! So often I wish that Lucy was the one that was 6 months older because then I could utilize your wisdom at these stepping stones in our children's lives. That primary song is one of my favorites... it's the one that my friend and I sang at our own baptism. I was SO happy when William chose it for his baptism as well.
OH Lori, I say this every time, but I LOVe your posts! What beautiful meaningful sentiments...and I loved all of those beautiful scriptures. Thank you so much! xoxo
PS Congratulations to sweet little Lucy--and those rainbow pictures are dazzling!
Hi Lori, I feel like a stalker but I just spent the last hour looking at your blog. I happened to click on it randomly and don't believe for a minute that it was just by chance. Thank you so much for your strength. For your testimony. For your words. Many of your quotes about death are just what my heart needed tonight. My heart mourns for your loss.
Post a Comment