We've had an intense couple of days!!After dumping Lucy into bed tonight, Wes felt it necessary to whip up his infamous chocolate banana shake. I assented to this completely practical plan. Chocolate banana shake thus blended perfectly and poured into glasses, Wes retreated to the couch and tuned on the Discovery channel. I sank into my desk chair and signed onto Blogger.
Relaxation.
MMmmmmm.
You know, the busyness of the past week or so has been laced with a lot of good laughs!
Like hearing the strains of "Dielig er jordan..." [Die-lee air your-dan - to the tune of Beautiful Savior] BURST dramaticly (loudly) from Lucy's lungs as she sits on the toilet or marches down the hallway. Apparently she feels sufficiently proficient in the English language and is ready to try her hand at Norwegian. And heaven forbid mom should join in the foriegn language fun! "No! That's the Daddy song, mom!"
Like hearing the strains of "Dielig er jordan..." [Die-lee air your-dan - to the tune of Beautiful Savior] BURST dramaticly (loudly) from Lucy's lungs as she sits on the toilet or marches down the hallway. Apparently she feels sufficiently proficient in the English language and is ready to try her hand at Norwegian. And heaven forbid mom should join in the foriegn language fun! "No! That's the Daddy song, mom!"
Lucy is also frequently found coining words of her own. When asked the name of her story book characters or stick figures she doesn't respond with a casual "Dick" or "Jane." No, she names her "people" things like "Hegliaba" and "Hazzalahgle." Just babble, you say - but no! this is not baby talk. This is very serious. These names are remembered and used regularly. And she's not just limited to names. Tonight, for example, we practiced vocabulary together. Lucy coached us from bathtub: "Mandegutt. Can you say MAndegUtt?" (this is said in the way a parent would prompt a one year old: "Dog. Can you say do-g?") When we laugh and repeat her, she moves on to another word.
Mandegutt. Man-de-goot? "Lucy, how do you spell that?"
My other favorite memories of household hilarity this week (with the disclaimer that these memories are recorded primarily for our sakes, not because we think they will be very funny to anyone else) didn't involve Lucy.
One involved me laying next to Wes in bed, interogating him about the section of Twilight he had just been reading. (Warning: if you haven't read Twilight and don't want anything spoiled, you may not want to continue:)
"Did you like it?"
Shoulders shrugged "yeah, it was good...just tell me how it ends!"
No! You have to read it yourself. But didn't you like the big fight scene?
"Fight scene..."
"The mirror room..?!?!"
Chuckle, chuckle..."You're joking right?" The words were not verbalized, but I could feel them in the darkness.
"Oh." I said. "I thought that would be your favorite part!"
"Yea, it was real good but..." Wes's laughter mounted from chuckles into deep laughs, long-silence laughs "'A big fight scene'???!!"
I couldn't help but laugh too. Long, hard, breathless, belly laughing.
And, ladies and gentlemen, I affirm that nothing alleviates stress like laughter!

9 comments:
Wes & Lori,
Awesome talking to you guys tonight. You're both awesome, and I love you.
I was listening to Amy's Ipod this evening when the song "Carry on my Wayward Son" came on. For some reason it reminded me of you, so I paused it and decided to call. Then after we hung up, I unpaused it again, and when the chorus rolled around, I was like, "Hey, I should call Wes." I don't remember if you used to play that song a lot or what. But for some reason it's linked to you in my subconcious.
Or maybe I'm a brainwashed pawn in your sinister plot to take over the world. I bet you secretly played that song over and over while I slept in order to secure my allegiance to do your bidding whenever I hear that catchy tune.
-Ryan
Same reaction over here... I thought Dee Packer would like all the 'fighting'in Twilight. He didn't seem that impressed. (Is it a 'girl' thing??) I am afraid he has been watching Ole North's 'War Stories'too long. dwp
I love your stories! Seems like I'd be giggling the whole time if I was at your house!
To all the clandestine male readers of TWILIGHT we know why you are reading! Someone in my house has already finished ECLIPSE and it is not me! (Smile, smile)
Lucy, Lucy where did you get the strong personality??? Love you!
love lucy's vocab lessons! i'm impressed that wes is reading twlight! i'll never get rich to read that or harry potter! by the way, i finished eclipse this morning--it was awesome!
oh don't tell me about eclipse! i'm determined to read the first 2 again since I was a little dopey the fist time through...LOVED this stories...I have been needing to laugh this week! And...I was so sad that Ry got to talk to you and not me...oh well we will have lots of time next week!
I love the Lucy story! We can so relate. There are a handful of songs that I may not dare to sing because they are promptly met with an emphatic, "That's Daddy's song!". Sometimes it's said with an air of "silly mommy, what were you thinking!", and other times more like "how dare you!" Either way- off limits for me. And how fun about the names. Linc has started to name things, but he hasn't done made up words yet. The saddest news is that his beloved firefighter named Heffalump is missing in action. And it doesn't look good considering we just moved every single item out of our house and it still didn't turn up :(
Brooke
Lori hope you survive the beginning of school. I am anticipating the same and I know it will be fun and exciting and challenging and, and, and, I'm really going to miss summertime! Margot (Joe's mom) called and she's taking her "baby" boy to BYU in a few weeks.
Thanks for taking care of all of this summer and finding space for Laurie and Jeff and the baseball team!
Thanks for the BD call Wes! Sorry we missed you!
And thanks for the BLOG! It makes me feel like I can see you everyday! I love you and that little Goldie Locks Lucy!
Love you!
Ryan - YOU make us LAUGH! Thanks!
Mom - dad's reading Twilight!???
Kate - there are indeed lots of giggles. Just wait til your little man is running around saying silly things! Can't wait for you to experience it first hand!
Lu - Grandpa's finished already! I am BEHIND! We need to touch bases with you! What is all this we hear about your back?!!? Hope whatever it is won't keep you from enjoying your last days of summer! I'm savoring mine...:)
Jeanine and Amy - I've got to get reading! You have both progressed further into Bella's fate than I have! Dah!
Brooke - So fun to have another little friend so LIKE Lucy. Can't wait to compare notes via the internet over the coming months...
Post a Comment