
It takes a two year old to see faces smiling through a "kren-zel!" (pretzel) disguise.
It takes a two year old to immediately recognize Rocket (yes, we are Little Einsteins fans) rather than a letter 'Q' during play-time with our left-over-from-Christmas foam alphabet.
It takes a two year old to make fast friends with a neglected black "cat" picked up in the bathroom.
Laughable examples. But the more I watch and delight in Lucy's unique discerning, the more I want to be Quick to Observe, and to develop the desirable spiritual gift of discernment.
Desirable, because, as Elder Bednar describes,
"Discernment is so much more than recognizing right from wrong. It helps us
distinguish the relevant from the irrelevant, the important from the
unimportant, and the necessary from that which is merely nice."
I sure spend a lot of time with "nice."
"The gift of discernment opens to us vistas that stretch far beyond what can be seen with natural eyes or heard with natural ears. Discerning is seeing with spiritual eyes and feeling with the heart—seeing and feeling the falsehood of an idea or the goodness in another person. Discerning is hearing with spiritual ears and feeling with the heart—hearing and feeling the unspoken concern in a statement or the truthfulness of a testimony or doctrine."
Hmmmmm. Desirable.

7 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that talk! It's one of my faves and Charles and I just rewatched it on Sunday.
I love how you find something in everyday things. I love reading your blog and being reminded of things that perhaps I should be more focused on of working on. Thanks!
We need to try and get together!
Miss that little Lucy and her complete concentration on her world! It was so good to see you all and enjoy our little time together! Love you! Grandme lu
Love that talk... and love you.
Isn't it wonderful how much they notice and delight in? I'm always amazed...
Lucy with her cat ... Darling!
I love your blog.
Ah yes...."life's lessons" if we are aware of them.
Discernment........a desired gift.
Lori and Lucy....and Wes ---Another gift.
Thanks for the memory, and the reminder. Thanks for being YOU. dsp
Post a Comment