Sunday, August 3, 2008

Of Small Towns and Shade Trees

We had a great weekend.
We visited some old friends in their new home.

Lucy and Viana. So happy to be reunited. So excited to have a "sleep-over!" So wound up that actual slumber took a while to be achieved.

The Carters were the perfect hosts! We loved touring their lovely home and their tiny town of Monroe, UT.


And I tell you, CJ and her pink frying pan make one mean batch of pancakes!


Our Saturday "adventure" together took us to Cove Fort for some chicken-petting, pioneer-toy-playing, wagon-riding, free-hot-dog-eating fun!

(I had to post this picture of Brooke in the stroller...peace out, chickens!)



After some good fun outside the grounds, we went inside the fort. I have toured the facility several times in my past, so while the other grown-ups went room to room, gleaning a brief history, I stayed with the girls who were eager to romp around on the grass and stairs.

And a subtle but powerful awe crept over me as I watched our children play in the shade of the two gorgeous trees that dominate the fort's interior - trees planted in the late 1800s by President Hinckley's grandfather Ira Hinckley.

I hope to the deepest depth of my heart that I will always remember to be grateful for such Shade. The kind that springs from seeds planted so long ago. With such effort. The kind that offers relief from more than just scorching sunlight.

Comfortable certainty. Peace. Shade.

Grateful for a weekend of such reminders.
And such friendship.

10 comments:

jeanine said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I love Cove Fort... my parents took us there one summer and little did we know that a wagon train was coming through with President and Sis. Hinckley! It also happened to be Pres. Hinckley's birthday so everyone there sang to him. I was wonderful.

And I too am oh so grateful for that shade. I loved your insight!

Janna said...

How fun!

Grandma lu said...

Love Cove Fort, Wes tells me he's never been before. How can that be? So glad you blog and do photo documentaries! Monroe looks perfect too, a little larger than Gunlock, but looks like a great place to live.
And don't we love shade in the desert and the security of sacrifice by those who came before!

DeAnna Packer said...

Good Friends, Good Times, Good Thoughts.......Hmmmm Life is Good!

Vicky said...

I'm envious of your visit with the Caters! And so glad it was fun! As always, your pictures are awesome!

Heather said...

Always love your insight. Looks like you had quite the enjoyable evening. One of these times on our way to St. George I will have to make a stop at Cove Fort, never been there.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

You've got great perspective! I love to read your thoughts.

Carrie said...

We just spent the last 6 days with some of our good friends, picking up right where we left off. Looks like you guys had all kinds of fun!!

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Oh Lori, what a great tribute to our wonderful weekend!! Was that too fun or what!!!

Brooke said...

So, so fun! Scott and I decided to make note of Cove Fort Days on our calendar every year until we make it (at least as long as the Carters are there) It is such a neat place. What a perfect little weekend. And I think that picture of CJ with the frying pan made my night. Where can I get me a hot pink frying pan??!