Saturday, May 21, 2011

For Lucy


My girl, you're six!

      
Silly, sassy, sweet six.


You are my spring born babe, made of May flowers and showers, splashing puddles and sunny picnics, tree swings, and jumping ropes, and rainbows...

      





     


      





...and Bugs.

(With a capital B).

   





           

You've spent the majority of the past two months hunting, catching, watching, reading about and drawing insects. 


So it only made sense to celebrate the six-legged creatures as part of your sixth birthday. 
You had a few neighbors over to play cooties and eat worms and all of that nonsense.







Our very own Ugly Bug Ball:







That was fun.
So was your birthday dinner (shared with both sets of grandparents; presents and good food and love galore!).




 (I've got to find the instructions you wrote out for your "6" cake.  "Step 1...Step 2...Step 153..."  Good thing you've got a good grandma!)


     



        

You were thrilled about your new paints (you are truly a gifted artist, Lucy) and your roller skates, and your tea set, and your chipmunk...and your...and your....(you are truly spoiled, my dear).

And I was just truly thrilled about you.

(Birthday breakfast!  Six strips of toast and a perfectly pink package - thanks Lees and Karen!)

You've faced so many difficult transitions these past months.  I've spent more than a few moments worrying over you and praying over you and wondering about you:  What must you be thinking?  What must you be feeling?  

I've watched you watch your Daddy.  When you came home from your several day Easter stay at Grandma Packer's house, there were so many notable changes:  a hospital bed, a wheel chair, a different sleeping arrangement, a different routine.  Your first day home, you didn't linger in Dad's room, but soon you peeked in the door and passed in a fresh Kleenex.  "Give this to Dad," you told me.  A few days later I walked into Dad's room and found you standing at his bedside, gazing quietly at his sleeping face. 


After several Sundays in a row of attending Sacrament meeting with just me and Spud, I found you hidden in the bathroom before church creating this masterpiece for Dad's room.


All the photos were hand picked and lovingly arranged. 
Since then you've filled Dad's wall with your artwork...


...and have snuggled up on his once intimidating bed for repeated showings of The Princess and the Frog and Enchanted.  You've become the boldest champion of his successes ("Dad did really good with his words today!"  you told me once) and last night you told us you want to be a nurse when you grow up.

You'll be a fantastic one, Lucy.
If you can resist entomology.

For your birthday celebration at school, I got to come and read a story of of your choosing to the class.  You wore your "super-special heavy-duty red boots"...


 and brought your (occasionally bothersome) little brother...


And we read Flora's Very Windy Day.

 



The next morning, when your tired, post-birthday body was still in bed, I read in Ephesians, "For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father...that Christ may dwell in your [heart] by faith; that ye [may be] rooted and grounded in love."

I thought of you and your super-special heavy-duty boots. 
I thought of you and your awareness of Heavenly Father's love and mercy. 


You found a slug in plain sight on the morning of your birthday.  You thought it was probably a present from Heavenly Father.  Like last year's rainbow.  

Lucy, if you keep looking for His gifts, you will always find them.  Because they abound.  And like your  special red boots, His love will keep you rooted and grounded through the windy days to come.  

Love you my little princess/artist/nurse/entomologist!
Glad you had a happy sixth birthday.    

21 comments:

laura said...

happy birthday little miss lucy! looks like you had a fun day! i miss playing with you at grandma lu's house! i love you all, and think of you all the time!!

Deanna said...

Happy 6th birthday Lucy girl! You are growing up so fast. Azure loved looking at all of the pictures of you. She really liked all of your artwork that you hung up in your Daddy's room too. You truly are a gifted artist!

Heather said...

Lucy, Happy Birthday! You are amazing and truly a gift to us all. Thank you Lori and Lucy for sharing this wonderful bithday with all of us. I learn a new lesson each time I read your words. Thank you and I love you all!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy girl! I'll never forget the day you were born. We love you and can't wait to see you again soon.

Rosalee said...

Happy birthday, Lucy! You are truly a beautiful little girl! Lori and Wes, I pray for you daily and think of your often. My love and prayers are with you always.

jeanine said...

I had tears rolling down my cheeks as I read this post. Lucy is such a wonderful little girl! I am glad that she had a good birthday. Love you all!

Marie W said...

For Lori:
That sweet Lucy has one amazing Mom, one who is clever enough to think of having heavy duty red boots on hand just to fit with a birthday story. One who is tender enough to guide her own little ones to look for the everyday miracles. One who has allowed those little ones to pursue their passions and guided them through the difficult transitions in life. One whose strength leaves me in awe. Crying for you just a bit tonight, but mostly at how beautiful you make life even in the bitterest of trials. Love you, Lori. Hang in there, Wes!

Amy said...

My tears are flowing too Lori! Your beautiful words know just how to do that! Happy Birthday to Lucy. We love you and hope you had a wonderful day!

Phoebe said...

happy birthday lucy:) you're a beautiful 6 year old! not to mention so so brave. Thanks Lori for sharing, your writing always touches and inspires me. we love and pray for you all every day.

Brooke said...

Our Dear Trumans,
Lest you think the lack of contact has meant a lack of thought, I must post a comment- because you have been on the very surface of our thoughts and prayers especially these last few weeks. We've wanted to write but all of our contact info is BYU related and obsolete! So let this note suffice to say we love you all. I wish there was a punctuation mark that meant "read with extra meaning and gravity" because a exclamation mark seems too flippant and a period to ordinary.
Lincoln especially wanted to send a note to Lucy on her birthday since he always remembers that hers is the day after his. He wanted to make and send her something special in the mail, so please let her know that his thought was there.
This post was beautiful, Lori, as they always are, and evidence to our family that Heavenly Father is hearing our prayers as we have been pleading that your days will be full of love and beauty and tenderness.
Love,
Brooke

heath said...

Brought tears to my eyes--she really is a special girl, with a special family, and a mom who really knows how to capture what it is about that girl we all love. Love to all of you!

DeAnna Packer said...

A sacred Amen to all of the above.

Seth and Emma said...

Hi Lori, it's Seth. I've just written a note to Wes but don't have your postal address. Could you e-mail it to me, please? My e-mail address is sethorius@hotmail.co.uk. Many thanks.
Seth

nateandrebecca said...

Happy birthday Lucy! I can't believe you are six now...that is crazy. Looks like you had such a fun birthday party!

And goodness Lori, your posts always make me cry! I feel like I have been so absent from you guys lately and so distant from all that has been going on for you. You guys have been in my thoughts and prayers all the same. I really hope to see you soon. You and your family are so wonderful. I love you guys so much!

Loni said...

Hey Lori, my heart is breaking for you all! I just can't even imagine having to explain to Ella what you've had to do talk to Lucy about. At six they're old enough to remember life before, but young enough to not understand entirely. Ella made Lucy a birthday card and I put it in the mail today. And of course Spencer needed to have something to open too so Shep made him a card. I mailed it to your Wyview address, are you still living there? Know we're praying for you all!
Love, Loni and family

Lessa said...

Lucy has a special place in my heart-- as does the rest of your family. We love you and are continually praying for you.

Hannah S said...

What a special special girl. I always loved her. So do the Weavers :) They always talked about her. And I always admired her art in Church. She is fabulous! What a lovely spirit.

erica said...

lori, you are a beautiful writer.
always brings me to tears.
happy happy (late) birthday to lucy!!
looks like it was a good one.

i can't believe she is six!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I was trying to think of something great and supportive and comforting to write. Obviously, nothing came to mind. Hope you and your family will be blessed with the peace that surpasses all understanding. It was so good to see you at the Markus Zusak event a while ago. Thinking of you!

Mark and Maria said...

I'm so sorry we missed calling and singing happy birthday to sweet Lucy on her birthday. She really is such a sweet beautiful girl...just like her momma.
Your words touched my heart. I love you and Wes and your sweet children so much. Every day we think about and pray for you.
Thank you for your post. You insprire me to want to be better. Love you!

Ben and Laurie said...

Lori, this is Laurie, a good friend of Adrianna's and Chad's (went to Pepperdine with them). Adrianna gave me your blog address. What a beautiful, inspirational blog you have! My husband and I have been praying consistently for Wes and all of y'all. Your steadfast faith is truly inspirational.