I just finished reading Prophets in the Land Again - Elder Holland's beautiful explanation and celebration of our Latter-day Saint general conference tradition.Elder Holland pegs "three things these twice-yearly gatherings declare to all the world."
That God has again called and ordained a prophet and apostles.
That Christianity carries with it a commission to serve God's children.
That Jesus Christ is the living son of the living God.
And really, in a nutshell, those are the things I most love and look forward to about conference weekend:
Rekindled testimony.
Motivation to serve more and to serve better.
Lucy has been preparing for conference with her homemade "prophet cards":
(Last April she could name every apostle! But we're having to hold a few refresher courses :)
Wes and I have been preparing by a very S L O W reading of President Hinckley's Biography: GO FORWARD WITH FAITH
Love the book. Love these words I re-read tonight:
President Hinckley, general conference 1966: "If you will read the word of the Lord, if you will serve his cause, if in prayer you will talk with him, your doubts will leave, and shining though all of the confusion of philosophy....criticism...and theology will come the witness of the Holy Spirit that Jesus is in very deed the Son of God, born in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world...It is your opportunity so to know. It is your obligation so to find out." (269)
A couple of anecdotes I couldn't resist:
One of Pres. Hinckley's jr. high-aged granddaughters (daughter of Richard Hinckley) was assigned at school to interview a notable individual. She picked her maternal grandfather who had pursued a distinguished tennis career. When that grandfather asked her why she hadn't picked her grandfather Hinckley (then a member of the quorum of the twelve apostles) she replied, "What has he ever done?" (341)
Similar: One day a grandson (age five) approached Pres. Hinckley (then a member of the First Presidency) and asked: "What do presidents do?"
"Make decisions" was Pres. Hinckley's answer
"Hmmm." Said the grandson, "My other grandpa does magic." (341)
We plan to migrate home to my mom's house to enjoy the fall food and festivities that accompany this celebrated weekend - but we will be smiling with you at the sight of President Hinckley's half grin, we'll be raising our hands to a sustaining square alongside yours, we'll be basking in the feelings of worldwide friendship and united faith, and we will be counting every blessing associated with the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
Enjoy!!!
TV/Radio Broadcast Schedule
Internet Viewing


12 comments:
Lori, I'm so excited for this weekend too! I need to recharge my battery. Loved the quotes. When you said you were going to your Moms, couldn't help thinking of an April Conference Saturday years ago, good times!
Those videos of Lucy are priceless--what a great way to teach her to revere and love the prophets.
love you. I'm so glad to know that you will be just down the street this weekend. Love you and yours.
Your daughter knows who the apostles are. Good heavens, that's pretty great (and adorable!). I am super excited for conference myself. I wasn't kidding when I said once that I want you to nanny my children.
Loved the videos, and the quotes. Grandpa is sobered at the thought of having to speak in Stake Conference the week after General Conference,or any week for that matter, but will use one of your quotes from President Hinckley from the blog!
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy Bountiful! Tell your wonderful parents hello for us!
Those videos killed me! Having Blaine point out pictures of Jesus pretty much makes every crazy mothering moment worth it. Loved those anecdotes, too. We'll have to read that biography!
I'm super excited for conference this weekend! We can't wait to see who the new member of the first presidency and quorum of the twelve are. (We've made our guesses)
I love that Lucy knows all the twelve apostles! I never thought to teach William... but he knows President Hinckley. (Funny story: Last week an older white haired gentleman got up to bear his testimony. William looked up at me and said "Is that president Hinckley?" I shook my head and he said "That's President Hinckley!")
And I know this comment is already long but I just have to say that I LOVE Pres. Hinckley's bio.
Wow Lucy! I am impressed that she knows the 12 apostles. Hopefully one day Madelyn will know them also.
I too am excited for conference. I love to hear the guidance that they have to offer and I too am excited to see who will be sustained for the 1st Presidency. I must admit though I am looking forward to conference for the fact that I won't have to be at church on Sunday worrying about all the teachers that didn't show up and all the other fun things.
Hope you enjoy your weekend. Wish we could all get together but it is a busy weekend.
Thi is so fun and what a great way for teh whole family to prepare for conference (and life!) Eric has pictures of the apostles from teen years to mid-20s, that he used to help his seminary students prime for conference, and it so fun to guess which one is which...we will have to share it with you and Lucy!!
Wow. I am impressed. I certainly didn't know any of the apostles names at that age! I have been looking forward to conference too though, and have been enjoying it now that it is here.
Lori, your little family just beams with goodness. So glad you share it with us.
ok, so I didn't watch the videos last night, but I did just now and Lucy falls right into the "so cute it hurts" category!
I'm back! and I loved this post...I bragged about Lucy to my whole fam this weekend (not so much it made them feel badly though :) LOVE!
Post a Comment