Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Week

A Final Word

First:
Let us pause to shed a tear over my poor camera, who sits alone and forgotten in my parent's kitchen, an hour's drive away.
Let us weep over the plethora of happy Lucy-in-her-Easter-dress pictures that ought to be, but are not, embedded in this post.
Thank you.
We watched Becoming Jane (a portrayal of Jane Austin's life - I don't know how accurate) yesterday. I could offer my opinions about the film - good and bad, but do not intend this post to be a movie review.

One line, however (which I'll have to paraphrase), has remained in my mind: In response to a friend's inquiry about her novels and whether or not her books would have happy endings, Jane indicates that her characters would, after some trouble, have all that their hearts desired. Certainly an effective juxtaposition to Jane's own deprived (as depicted) life. An effective juxtaposition, it would seem, to life in general. Perfect endings often seem unrealistic.

And yet, this week's Easter celebration leaves me reveling in perfect endings. Wes and I took a moment last night to review the Savior's final mortal days. I approached the reading casually - it's a familiar story, we'd been rehearsing it with Lucy all week. But last night we were alone and it was quiet. It was Easter Eve. I found myself rocked by the scenes. The blood. The betrayal. Voluntary death and subsequent darkness. And then dawn. The morning of resurrection. The light of a perfect ending.

Perfect ending, I imagine, means something a little different for each of us. Some of us currently find ourselves in close-to-perfect circumstances. But so many of the people I love lack desired blessings (health, marriage, children) and so many of the people I hear about lack desired, and even necessary, blessings (love, food, faith, security, shelter, respect). Truly there is so much desire in the world. (And let's note, I mean righteous desire - although there's plenty of the other kind, too!)

Those of us with testimonies of Christ's atonement manage to find peace even in want of desired blessings:

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;


But celebrating the resurrection fills me not only with current contentment during difficulty, but with the anticipation of an ultimate deliverance from desire. After a little trouble (or a lot, as some cases go) we are promised a perfect ending. Total dream/desire fulfillment. No matter how dark our Friday, Sunday will come.

Eventually.

And that's really the hard part to swallow, isn't it? The,"eventually." The, "who knows when." The "maybe not for a long time" clause.

But isn't the surety of eventually so much better than the possibility of never?

Our bishop's wife spoke in Sacrament meeting today. She has a thirteen year old son who suffers from a terminal, degenerative disease. Doctors anticipated that he would live 10-12 years. He has gratefully surpassed expectations, but his parents are preparing for the inevitable. This sweet mother told of choosing a casket and burial plot, of planning a funeral for her still-living, but struggling son. And she testified with power about the eventuality of resurrection, about the eventuality of a perfect ending, about the eventual receipt of her heart's greatest desires.

After some trouble...all their hearts desire. Jane's words are really not so much in juxtaposition to reality as they are a simple declaration of it: trouble followed by eventual reward. Because of an Easter gift. Because of our Savior's e x p e n s i v e, but freely given, Easter gift.

23 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank You Lori!

Heather said...

Thanks!!! You have a way with putting everything in just the right words to convey your thoughts.

Hope Saturday went well, sorry I couldn't be there. Can't wait to see you sometime!

jeanine said...

You sure have a way with words... this was perfect.

jeanine said...

ps. and sad about the camera... you will have to post the Lucy pictures for us later!

Vicky said...

Lori, you put everything so beautifully! Thanks for sharing that. I can't wait to see Lucy's Easter pictures!

Grandma lu said...

Amen, again!

Carrie said...

Hope you don't mind, linked to your post on my blog. Too beautiful not to share with anyone within my reach! Love you... waiting for my happy ending!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Beautiful.

I would love your review of the Becoming Jane movie sometime. I have been vaguely wanting to see it, but reluctant from some of the reviews of content I read...

Excellent assessment of the promise of happy endings!

Phoebe said...

Thank you Lori for your ability to put into beautiful words such tender feelings! Hope you had a wonderful Easter..can't wait to see the pics. of Lucy!

DeAnna Packer said...

As with "Kitty"..the camera, and other things are 'OK'.
(I would have coppied the picts and sent them to you--if I could).

We too celebrate THE Perfect Ending, and pray we live worthy to being a part of it. Love you so.

Mom and Dad

SRas said...

Perfectly put. Exactly what has been on my mind. Amen.
Brooke

Heather said...

Do you know roughly what time it would be that you would make it up this way? Just so I know if it is close to lunch then I could plan something for us. If you stick around then we can plan something for dinner, perhaps if it is nice we could even BBQ. Let me know. I am excited to see you guys. (Hope the trip isn't asking too much!)

Meggan said...

What a great Easter message! I am so sorry that we didn't get to meet up while we were in town, but I was cool to hear your voice as well. We know how hectic things are around the holidays! Hope ya'll had a great Easter!

Jill said...

Oh, I feel your sorrow regarding the untaken pictures. I know what that's like ;O)
And thank you for your beautiful words...you are a very accomplished writer, and I so enjoy reading your sincere and touching thoughts. thanks.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Beautiful. Thanks for mentioning that talk. It was so real. The message of Easter was real as I listened to that talk--thanks for phrasing everything so perfectly.
-Eric

mcampbell said...

Thanks for these beautiful words.

(And thanks for the bday wishes. And I hope the shower went well.)

Love.

Danielle said...

You are such a thoughtful writer...always so cleaver and well spoken. I love to visit!

Emily Widdison said...

I cannot get over how cute your little Lucy is. Found you on Jeanine's blog...also found Carrie...what a small Blogging world.

Unknown said...

love you friends. glad for the reminder of where our granted desires come from

lori said...

Emily - small world indeed!! Thanks for saying 'hi'!

Heather said...

I will email you but Saturday around 4 works for us.

nateandrebecca said...

This is such a beautiful post...I sort of needed this...thanks.

Marci said...

I'm speechless, that was beautiful.