Monday, December 17, 2012

For Spencer


 
The only way I could entice you to work the other day was to suggest cleaning up "like the elves."
"How do they do it, Mom?"  you asked.
"Play with everything first,"  I said.
"Play with it and then put it away?"  you asked.
"Yes."
Yes.  It took a really long time to clean up that afternoon.  But it was a really lot of fun, too. 

I'm too tired to write, but you were so funny today.  And I'm crying that I didn't write down everything you said because of course I don't remember.  But I remember that I love you.  And that I love the way your voice sounds (eager...decisive...sure...happy...honest...expressive) when we work and play together around the house.  And I remember that when we made lunch this afternoon I said something about how much you've grown up and what a good, big boy you're becoming. 

"Yep," you said, "but I know I'm still growin'!" 
And then your light-hearted expression sobered a little . 
"I'm gonna miss you, Mom,"  you said.
I was about to assure you that I wouldn't be going anywhere when you clarified, "I'm gonna miss the height of you.  When I'm tall."

I could only laugh and blink back a few tears. And hug you.

 
Oh, little boy, I'm going to miss the height of you too.  But I'm at least grateful I'll have someone wearing a tie and eating cereal in my kitchen on Sunday afternoons for a dozen or so years to come.   


8 comments:

heath said...

I'm ever amazed at that little one's way with words. I remember being so frustrated as a kid not being able to express what I felt (and I'm sure he has those moments too), but I love that he finds a way to get his meaning across. What a sweetheart.

DeAnna Packer said...

I agree Heath! He simply amazes me with his thought patterns and vocabulary! And, then there is his 'handsomeness' in his shirt and tie! Wow.

Grandma lu said...

I'm going to miss the height of Spencer when he is taller. Love that little boy blue!

Grandma lu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B said...

So sweet, Lori. I love you and your boy. And I'm glad I'm not the only mother to cry when she can't remember all the things her little one said that she wanted to record later and remember forever.

Laura said...

Oh, dear. He's an amazingly thoughtful little boy, isn't he?!

jeanine said...

Oh he's too sweet. I miss my little pal. And I have to ditto Heather... he has got a great way with words.

jeanine said...

ps. I just LOVE Spencer's quotes on the side. Especially the Abinadi one!