Yesterday at school we read Gilberto and the Wind (a mutual favorite) and made kites. Just a little paper+string concoction.
But it was maybe the happiest day of your life.
The kites did, actually, maintain loft here and there, when the breeze helped out.
"I love you, Wind!" you hollored as you ran and ran and ran.
Because what else could I do and still watch you flying kites?
I love our lunchtimes together.
Tuna fish and pickles last week (a mutual favorite).
But the food is never as good as the conversation.
I love listening to you talk. Although you're getting smarter than me! You asked me some random question the other day and I gave you a quick answer. "How do you know?" you asked warily. "Because moms know everything!" I said. "You don't know everything," you countered quickly. "Heavenly Father does!"
Smile. Couldn't argue with that.
You talk about your dad more than any of us lately. The other day you came out of the bathroom and told me, "When I was going potty I saw that colorful picture of dad on the wall....
(painted by your sis when she was six)
...and I said, 'I love you Dad.'"
I opened my arms and you curled up in them. "I'm so glad you said that," I whispered. "I know your dad can hear you, Spencer. And I know that he's saying 'I love you, Spud!' We just can't hear that with our ears."
You nodded thoughtfully and then assured me, "My heart can."
I smiled at you through grateful tears.
Your heart can, Spencer Dee.
And I'm so glad you're listening!



6 comments:
Lori, I don't REALLY know you, but I just love you. You are without a doubt the best example of what a good mother is. Thank you for that! Maybe it's weird to say, but I often find myself thinking about you in my daily mothering moments and do my best to emulate you (I'm nowhere close, might I add :). You are raising such unbelievably sweet and beautiful little ones.
I love that Spud. What a sweetie. Those kites are ingenious by the way.
what a precious post--you my friend are such a sweet Momma and that little Spencer is a treasure! xo
Spencer is such a wonderful little man! LOVE his language and insights!
Oh Spencer! This little story made me teary eyed. What a sweet moment.
My 5 year old also asks "How do you know?"
What a great post about Spencer. He is such a good boy!
Post a Comment