Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fall Break

         
 
       
We went to Disneyland!


           
       
5 cousins (+ 3 parents),

+ 1 Grandma Lu!



It was wonderful. 


     


     

We spent Fall Break in Disneyland last year too (as documented here, here, here, and here.  Actually here, here, here, and here too.  It was kind of a big deal. =).  And I admit that I waffled a bit about going again.  I agonized that my childrens' memories of Disneyland with their dad would be replaced by newer, fresher memories.  It took me a few days to calm down and convince myself that of course we should go. 

A week or so after I decided, Lucy delighted me by bringing up the subject on her own.  Without any knowledge of our upcoming trip, she said from the back seat of the car, "Remember when we went to Disneyland a long, long, long time ago?"  (It must feel like an eternity to her!)
"Yes,"  I replied with a smile, "That was one of our most special trips, huh?"
"Yeah," she said, and then added after a moment, "I think we'll always feel special when we go to Disneyland, because Dad was alive there."


I smiled and nodded vigorously though my tears, glad that she wanted to remember.  Glad for the reminder that our memories of Wes are not replaceable.  Rather, we'll carry them with us wherever we go and they will enhance everything we do.   

So, after reminiscing repeatedly about our first trip (Lucy read that old post aloud for us several times in the most delighted, enthusiastic six year old voice you've ever heard, and we watched that tea cup video clip over and over, so glad to hear our Daddy's cheerful voice!), we went! 

We added Mr. Toad,


Buzz,


Splash Mountain (no picture!  What was I thinking!?), and Star Tours ...


...to our repertoire of rides.  Lucy was thrilled to be brave and big enough for "the huge waterfall!" and I could feel Wes smile approvingly when she fell in love with her first taste of Star Wars.

We saw new characters.

    

 (Everything Pooh Bear was the highlight of Spencer's experience this year.)





There were lots of lines!




And a few special surprises (thanks to Aunt Suzy and Uncle Joe)!



        

What else can I say? 





Disneyland is always a good idea!


(Is she her daddy's daughter or what?!)

  


Maybe we'll go next year, too!



13 comments:

Heather said...

Again I am in tears. I am super glad that you had a wonderful time at Disneyland and that old wonderful memories cannot be replaced but only enhanced!

Megan said...

Well no wonder you weren't home when I knocked on your door! What a fantastic fall break! I love Lucy's comment and that you recorded it for yourself and for us all to read. I secretly hope that it becomes an annual tradition for your sweet family. Especially because "Dad was alive there". That is a beautiful reason and to keep making beautiful memories. I love you Lori.

Ryan said...

...and I secretly hope it becomes a bi-(or tri)annual tradition. Glad to hear Heather cried. Now if we can just get Royce, Amy, Mark & Michelle to weep with the Disney spirit, I can retroactively cross it off my goal list for that trip.

heath said...

Sorry Ry, that was Heather Call commenting, not me. You're going to have to add me back on to your list. But this post did bring me close to tears--I can only imagine how hard of a decision it must have been to decide to go. But I'm glad you went and that it was a wonderful time. Love you Lori, Lucy and Spencer!

ROAST said...

Ryan I thought you already crossed me off that list. I think I had a tear or two during the fireworks from that trip. Who's excited for club 33 on Royce and Amy's 30th birthday Disney trip (as yet to be discussed in an e-mail chain)?

jeanine said...

I can't think of a better "happy" place to be than Disneyland. So glad that you had a wonderful trip.

Royce... I think that the 30th birthday trip should be planned for May because that's when we're planning on being in CA :)

ROAST said...

It just might be. Hopefully we'll go when California Adventure is finally complete. Sorry Lori to make your comment board a vacation planning board. I'll stop!

Vicky said...

So neat to see how your children have grown and changed since your last Disneyland post. I'm so glad it was a good time!

Janna said...

So glad you went!

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Too bad we didn't run in to you guys! I hope you got my message...I probably sounded scatterbrained though because I'm fairly certain I'm the worst message leaver in the history of answering machines :) NEXT TIME we'll for sure have to meet for a ride!

Abby said...

so fun! i agree... disneyland is ALWAYS a good idea! :)

Phoebe said...

What a great trip! Looks like such fun. I'm sure Wes was smiling down at those brave kids of his and their angel momma:) love you!

Megan said...

just wanted to leave a note that I so love you and I know i haven't met you. I tell Suzy every time I see her at our monthly book clubs to tell you that we think the world of you and are praying for you and your cute children. Thank you for sharing your life with us. You heal many wounds by sharing yours.